Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Portable CPAP/APAP battery life
Portable CPAP/APAP battery life
I have not been able to find battery reviews for portable CPAP/APAP machines. Has anyone come across a page that compares battery performance based on what the short-list of portable devices require. For example, I'm hoping to find out how long a given battery will hold a charge. Most references are to air travel where duration of use is relatively short. I hike and am looking for information that will guide duration of a hike, e.g. hold charge for 2 or 3 or 4 nights of use.
thank-you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Portable CPAP/APAP battery life
Due to the number of combinations and permutations of batteries and devices, a comprehensive review is unlikely. Device manufacturers, like battery manufacturers, appear to use settings that give them the best-perceived values. Since most measurements depend on operational considerations, such as pressure, humidification, charge level, ambient operating temperature, charging parameters, etc., it is unlikely anyone will spend the time and money for a comprehensive review of multiple devices.

Perhaps the best advice is that your mileage will vary. Next come anecdotal reports from users. Other than that, it is a costly trial-and-error crapshoot.

As for me personally, I use my AirSense 10 AutoSet with a pressure of 15 cm H2O, pass-thru humidification only, no heated slimline tube, and a run time of 9 hrs (including time to fall asleep and a semi-wakeful period). For camping, I use a time of 6 hrs. I work off DC only with no inverter and use a 12V 50AH LiFePO4 Battery, (18 pounds with cables), ResMed DC-DC converter) and a charger made for LiFePO4 batteries. I haven't attempted anything solar. I count one eight-hour day with a charger refresh before the next use as a success.

Charging time = (Battery capacity / Charging current) x Charging efficiency. Temperature is a major factor. I try to avoid discharging my battery by more than 50%.

I suggest reading https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...lo_eng.pdf.

At home for minor interruptions, I use a Medistrom Pilot 24 in pass-thru mode.

The setup is a bit pricey, but I consider it the ResMed premium.

There are many fine forum discussions on this issue, including ones with detailed pictures and assembly instructions.

Best, Steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank-you for the comprehensive response. I have some readin' and learnin' to do!
j
Post Reply Post Reply
Hiking as in backpacking for multiple days without a support vehicle?
Nothing more than a large pack and solitude? True outdoors lifestyle.
We're both avid hikers and do have modest experience with batteries.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my at-home solution and also for car camping

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...#pid520602

I have several more posts in that thread about building it and variations on it for solar and an inverter for a fridge

I loose power here for around 4 hours multiple times a year, and once for 24hrs or so when a drunk hit a pole
Post Reply Post Reply
I beach camp, and I travel, so I have a second CPAP for this purpose. I bought them all together from my CPAP store.
Resmed Air Mini
Phillips Dreamweaver pillows (and chin strap)
Medistrom Pilot-24 lite Li-Ion battery 95Wh
Medistrom Solar Panel (fold up 50w) for pilot lite batteries

I think I get 3 nights cpap use out of the battery without charge but I always charge battery daily either in car with 12v or with The solar panel (7—10 pressure on my main, not sure what my mini settings are) It has a humidifier that works by catching moisture out of your breath. Sounds gross but works well when you get it right. (the wrong humidifier filter and your dripping humidity into your nose lol)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank-you for the life experience. The solar option is ideal for high-sun backpacking! This review  of 5 CPAP batteries is very informative ... he even takes a battery apart to discover its super power!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVmcuXWP8E&t=1204s
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2024, 08:24 AM)JPOPS Wrote: Thank-you for the life experience. The solar option is ideal for high-sun backpacking! This review  of 5 CPAP batteries is very informative ... he even takes a battery apart to discover its super power!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVmcuXWP8E&t=1204s

Please be advised that the Medistrom information may be rendered obsolete soon...
Quote:BEFORE YOU BUY A MEDISTROM BATTERY

I just finished speaking with a Medistrom technical support representative about my Pilot-24 Lite capabilities and received an update.

Although daisy-chaining Pilot-24 lite batteries is not available, Medistrom will release the Pilot-Flex in the upcoming months, with a foreign release preceding the U.S. release.

This is a complete redesign of the product with important feature upgrades.

1.  It will have dual 12-volt/24-volt capability, so you do not need separate batteries for the two different voltages.
2.  It will allow daisy-chaining of additional batteries to increase overall capacity and run times. (Like the older Pilot-plus).
3.  It will have a USB-C charging capability compatible with modern USB requirements. 

Considering the cost of these batteries, you may wish to wait until the new one is released. 
I wonder if the new release will push down the price of older units.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank-you for the new product information. We've off camping end of August so may not be able to take advantage of the new features. Given the price point, I doubt a combined 12/24 volt version will cost less; we can always hope! : - )
j
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DreamStation Auto BiPAP to APAP? indreams 4 112 Yesterday, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 22 4,500 Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  APAP- High Pressure Waking Me in the middle of the night HanoverTime 6 219 09-30-2024, 11:57 PM
Last Post: AshSF
  ResMed 11 Battery Backup sptrout 6 355 09-26-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: LyndMc
  [Equipment] Battery covered by insurance? Zombie on my Lawn 1 126 09-26-2024, 06:14 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  CPAP/APAP data review Robert Detz 1 126 09-25-2024, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Pressure settings on APAP - Morning Headaches Jhlopez 0 118 09-24-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Jhlopez

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.