Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feeling terrible
Feeling terrible
Hi, I'm a new CPAP user (a few months now). Haven't been doing well, and can't get any support from doctor or CPAP provider. I've attached my OSCAR readings from last night. I woke up feeling terrible this morning (headache, exhausted, etc.). Does anyone know what my next steps should be?

I'm using P10 nasal pillow mask with humidity at 8 and tube temp at 81 (tried full face mask but it didn't work out). I can't tape my mouth because I will wake up in extreme panic due to suffocating. I do a saline nasal rinse and flonase every night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feeling terrible
Welcome

You are having almost entirely CAs.  Did your sleep study show a lot of CAs?  If you don't know, it would help if you would post a redacted copy of your sleep study.  If you don't have a copy, ask your doctor's office for it.  By law, they have to provide it if you ask for it.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I've attached my sleep study. I thought the 'CA' just meant clear airway apnea, like I am breathing through my mouth instead of my nose.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Clear airway (CA) means your airway is open, but you are not making any attempt to breathe.

This also shows on your sleep report.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, no it's not mouth breathing vs nasal. You had some CA/Clear Airway/Central Apnea on the sleep study. The line on image 1, pAHIc 4% with 19 Central events. You had some CA, but not equal to half your events, from what I'm seeing.

The CPAP flags these as clear airway or CA because the airway is clear of obstruction, as in not a common Obstructive Apnea. Central Apnea is a long breath pause for several reasons. Most likely pertaining to Apnea is that while on a CPAP, the pressure upsets the level of CO2 remaining in the lungs, and in turn modified the next breath signal.

Now that's part of the issue, but again you had some on the test, so you're seemingly more sensitive to CA breath holds.

Action? With CPAP or AutoSet you might need to avoid some CA by lessening the pressure fluctuations in part by removing Ramp off it's on, EPR might need lowered, pressure range might need edited. All these YOU can do without Dr. Dolittle's input or bill.

Find your CPAP setup manual and request it free above.

PS, if the CA hinder, you can complain about it to doc. Maybe the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto will be somewhat better for you. Last answer is ASV, but like I mentioned above, the CA weren't 50% of the total. Alternate plan maybe you get them to give a Titration which includes bilevel and ASV, if it becomes necessary.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for explaining this! I have changed a lot of settings myself. Pressure was set to 4 -10 originally but I was suffocating and have changed it to 8 - 15. I turned off the ramp and changed the EPR to 1 or 2.

I live in Colorado and the altitude (6,000 feet) and humidity (often less than 10% in the summer) might be aggravating. Overall experience with CPAP was much better when traveling to sea level.
Post Reply Post Reply
The high altitude definitely could be a contributing factor and the use of EPR may also cause more CA's.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Copy. High altitude like Opal Rose said will be a contributing factor.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feeling bad despite all of my attempts.. And.. Central apneas. Preparedinho 34 1,340 Yesterday, 11:37 AM
Last Post: 59Bugeye
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 140 12,642 09-06-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  AHI looks good, but still feeling bad nh00 54 3,652 09-04-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: LennySleeps
  [Equipment] I Always Wake Up Feeling Like A Blowfish Kamryn 1 138 08-29-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Sad Still feeling like no sleep sloth123 2 156 08-25-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Used CPAP for months and still not feeling better jarrod1893 5 270 07-30-2024, 06:35 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] AHI looks okay, still feeling exhausted throughout the day Ragoo32 17 953 07-12-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: Ragoo32

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.