Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Possible UARS or is it something else?
Question 
Possible UARS or is it something else?
Hi there, I've been lurking this forum for a month or two now trying to figure out my sleep issues.

TL;DR Background: poor quality sleep since childhood, sleep study negative, CBT-I completed, sleep hygiene dialed in, doctors say I should be fine lol

- I am suspicious of UARS as my AHI is <2 but waking up frequently at night
- The 3 sleep studies I have had over the years all did not measure RDI, just looked at AHI and said I was fine
- I got a mandibular advancement device 4 months ago, very slight improvement, but still working my advancement mm up
- Recently got Airsense 11 Autoset and have self-titrated up to 10-12 range
- Flow rate graphs are confirming frequent spikes and flattening
- I have also recently tried combining my MAD with the CPAP
- I have no troubles getting to sleep, but I do not ever feel rested when I wake up, and I have many mini awakenings at night

I have been reading the wiki and looking at resources on apneaboard but I am not sure if I am missing something in my data. Is this UARS? Is there some other pattern I am not aware of?

This is probably on the better end night for me:

This is a typical sample of my flow rate graph:

This is a typical sample of the jumbles that show up throughout the night, with or without CA events flagged:

If anyone has any thoughts or something I could look into more, I would really, really appreciate it. I am at a loss for where to go from here. Upping the pressure didn't seem to help, it just blasted air in my mouth waking me up, or puffing it up like a baloon whenever I have tape / chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Possible UARS or is it something else?
First, please read the link in my signature “Formatting OSCAR Charts”. it describes the graphs we like to use to help folks.

What I see in the posted chart are arousal breaths. I would need to see more data to consider UARS.

As the calendar is obscuring the machine settings, I can only guess at what it is set to based on the graphs. Based on what I can see, I suggest trying the following.

Mode APAP
Min pressure 10
Max pressure 12
EPR 3 full-time
No ramp

I suspect you may have a bit of flow limitations going on even though it is not triggering the FL counter, but will know more if you give those settings a try for a few nights.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow AHI < 1.0 now, but still tired? Is it UARS, RERA, arousals or FL in your FR peaks? 2SleepBetta 58 14,906 10-20-2024, 10:58 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  UARS: What are your ODI 4 % numbers with good/bad bi-level therapy? THEVGE 3 230 10-14-2024, 03:15 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 33 5,279 10-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SenatorBirch
  Uars/need help please Jlcdsc 1 163 09-29-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Pressure] Recently diagnosed with UARS and prescribed Bilevel. Need help with settings. cloudwalker 7 664 09-29-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jlcdsc
  Bilevel self-titration for UARS ChickenTenders 11 868 09-26-2024, 12:33 PM
Last Post: ChickenTenders
  Early waking, unrefreshed sleep, UARS? WinnerFieldman 1 250 09-19-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: WinnerFieldman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.