Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA
First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA
Hi,

I previously (about 10 years ago) was diagnosed with OSA and was prescribed a BiPap ASV machine. I have not used it for a few years and doctor suggested I get a new sleep study to get a new machine. I have attached new titration report. Last night was my first night with the Aircurve 11 standard Bipap and results were 38.83 AHI - all CA. I did not struggle falling asleep and not aware of waking up. Prescription pressures were 16/11. Let me know any other information needed. Please help - thanks!!

I have added my titration report and Oscar for first night.

Thanks,
Craig 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA
Welcome to Apnea Board,

With the 29 Central to 7 Obstructive Apnea, and then 13 unclassified Hypopnea, you can try High Trigger on the VAuto to help avoid more CA. Ramp should be minimized possibly to Auto instead of static 20 minutes, and both Ramp and base EPAP likely needs to go up from 4 cmH2O.

It's possible the VAuto isn't the correct tool for your therapy due to these Central Apnea predominantly appearing on the PSG sleep study report. If it's not the right device you'll need to move up to ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, settings have been changed to Vauto for tonight and we will see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Attached Oscar for last night. Still quite a bit of CA. This is with setting of Vauto. 

Suggestions? Thanks!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Given the bit of info I failed to see in post 1, specifically that you used to have an ASV, you're likely headed back to that. This doesn't imply the old ASV unless you have it and want to demo it. Regardless, you'll probably need to tell this doctor, if true, your new therapy isn't working well for you. This can be subjective, your opinion, and/or objective, the test and OSCAR charts.

Your CA therapy success may require the return to ASV. Take note that Central Apnea typically presents themselves as consistently inconsistent. Translation is they will be up and down in appearance or absence and varying amounts without regard to therapy that hadn't changed.

Dave missed an important bit there. Sorry.

Is the current therapy helping or not? And this is your subjective opinion not based on this chart, but by how you feel.

I would venture your therapy requirements from the past are roughly the same now, meaning the ASV is better for you, if it's set-up right.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - I will be chatting with DME respiratory therapist in a little bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's do a couple of things to allow displaying a little more information. First, go to OSCAR → Preferences → Clinical and set it to the Passive mode. Now, when you have those little sessions like the 14:50 and 17:40 sessions, you can turn them off in the lower left under Session Information. Next, stretch the left panel to the right until all reporting parameters under Statistics uses only one line. You might even change the Application font size down about 2 points from its current value (OSCAR → Preferences → Appearance) and consider using a narrow font.

To acquire an image, use the key combination of the Fn + F12 keys. This will eliminate the calendar that doesn't have any bearing on your therapy and just eats up valuable image real estate.

Now on to your current chart. . . Your CAs could be partially caused by either a too high PS and/or an improper Trigger setting. That is why I was wanting you to change your display in order to see things like the Trigger setting. Also, a 3-minute zoom of your Flow Rate graph would be helpful. Try to avoid including an event when choosing this image. I want to see the normal waveform.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much.

I don't see the trigger setting on there but was set to medium last night. I was planning on changing to high this evening.

I have attached update Oscar screenshots.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is nuts! Your new sleep test clearly showed predominately central apnea. You were previously treated with ASV, and that remains the appropriate therapy for you. Do you still have the ASV from your first prescription? If so, let me know the brand and model (i.e. S9 VPAP Adapt) and let's set it up. Your doctors made a big mistake here, and you should be on the phone asking why ASV was not prescribed. Describe your atrocious AHI results...all central apnea, and while a titration test is not required, demand either Rx for ASV auto or a titration test for ASV. All the ideas above are great for an individual with therapy onset central apnea, but PandaZA needs to get back to ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still have my old machine and I was planning on using it again. I have the ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV. Interestingly enough the DME respiratory therapist questioned the prescription too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here - Post Sleep Study Question Tenley 4 891 09-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] starting to use CPAP without sleep study/data help Fantasieimpromptu 2 123 09-03-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 135 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 204 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 87 9,180 08-17-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  New to CPAP, sleep Study had me at 90 events an hour jcpose 2 190 08-15-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: jcpose
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 20 1,952 08-06-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.