Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fix aerophagia for cheap
Fix aerophagia for cheap
Hello everyone.
I want to share my idea and hope it helps alot of people like me who suffred aerophagia with no solution.

I had severe aerophagia with a pressure of 7. I could never use 8 or more...never. i turned on EPR it helped a little but my therapy wasn't good.

I searched non stop for solutions ( wedge pillow ) and all the other stuff with no success until I found someone talking about a device called Reflux band.

I couldn't find it online so I made one.

I had this flashlight with my fishing gear. I removed the lamp which was hooked easily and added some foam to soften the plastic which will press on my neck bellow Adam's apple and booooom. No more aerophagia even with pressure of 17. Just tighten the strap a little and there you go.

The flashlight was bought on aliexpress for 3 dollars use google image search to find the same.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fix aerophagia for cheap
Aren't you afraid of restricting the blood flow to your brain?
Post Reply Post Reply
Any device with enough tension to accomplish what you are suggesting is extremely dangerous. Two major blood flow paths to the brain are on both sides of the neck. This is the area that is responsible for both self-strangulation and what is termed, the "sleeper hold". I advise you explore other avenues for your aerophagia.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You dont have to tighten it hard just a little bit. No i feel great and no blood restriction. It has elasticity it doesn't feel hard on your neck it's soft and light. It works very well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2024, 08:00 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Any device with enough tension to accomplish what you are suggesting is extremely dangerous.  Two major blood flow paths to the brain are on both sides of the neck.  This is the area that is responsible for both self-strangulation and what is termed, the "sleeper hold".   I advise you explore other avenues for your aerophagia.
- Red

It is adjustable and very elastic. You don't need much tension. It's so comfortable and light. I don't feel any restriction in blood. i don't choke myself. just a very light pressure does stop the air from getting to the stomach.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2024, 09:13 AM)VINEDIGGER Wrote: ... just a very light pressure does stop the air from getting to the stomach.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you used your device?  If you've used it successfully for a long while with no harm, I doubt that it will suddenly cause any trouble.  

Out of curiosity, I looked up 'reflux band' yesterday.  Their device actually did look dangerous to me, and it cost $189.  I don't think it is being offered now.  Yours however looks harmless.  I doubt that it's much tighter than the soft cervical collars lots of our folks use, but it's placed on a more specific area of the neck.  It reminds me of a certain type of high, snug necklace worn by fashionable ladies long ago.  They were worn safely by many women for many years.

Good for you!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2024, 10:38 AM)Deborah K. Wrote: How long have you used your device?  If you've used it successfully for a long while with no harm, I doubt that it will suddenly cause any trouble.  

Out of curiosity, I looked up 'reflux band' yesterday.  Their device actually did look dangerous to me, and it cost $189.  I don't think it is being offered now.  Yours however looks harmless.  I doubt that it's much tighter than the soft cervical collars lots of our folks use, but it's placed on a more specific area of the neck.  It reminds me of a certain type of high, snug necklace worn by fashionable ladies long ago.  They were worn safely by many women for many years.

Good for you!  Smile
I have been using it for a month now. When I forget to wear it  my stomach reminds me. I get bloating so fast. It is light and only a light pressure stops the air from going in. I was shocked when I made it. it worked so well. When I wake up I forget to take it off. Its very light.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's 3 dollars. Buy it. Try it. It just works with very light pressure on the neck. It has been a month without bloating. I wake up and go to work. no problems at all. 

Before I had to stay at home for a bit to fart and burp all the gases but I could never get all out. I work with so much pain in my intestines and stomach. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to lower the pressure. I was suffering.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the actual reflux band the entire front third of the circle is a rigid plastic chassis. The way it's designed nothing can press on the sides of the neck, all force from the straps is kept on the back of the neck or the soft pressure pad directly over the throat. It's probably also designed to break away if it's ever under too much strain, but even if not the design makes it very difficult to constrict breathing or more importantly blood flow.

The original poster's DIY design on the other hand squeezes the neck from all directions. Applying pressure to the throat will also restrict blood flow to the brain. And being essentially just a rubber band around the throat there's far less safety in case it gets tangled or caught.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP - Aerophagia? LFS9000 5 212 10-02-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Bad Aerophagia - Help cyberfiche 4 312 09-22-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: cyberfiche
  ASV with Oxygen Drops, leaks and aerophagia redking2436 7 391 09-20-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  My solution to aerophagia with CPAP manacles 7 343 09-04-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: croc
  Fixed Aerophagia using a Halo style chin strap ISeekRem 0 204 09-01-2024, 03:45 AM
Last Post: ISeekRem
  Aerophagia while awake? donsburg 4 340 08-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Dealing w aerophagia and probably UARS, Help Jstalez 19 739 08-10-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Jstalez

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.