Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Frustrating new sleep patterns - the good and the bad
Frustrating new sleep patterns - the good and the bad
I'm 17 days into an Airsense 11 with Airfit P10 nasal pillows.  65 year old woman who should have gotten CPAP years and years ago.  I don't love my 'nose hose' but it's already lifting some of the deep daytime sleepiness that I've seen coming more and more. And, if I ever let my hubby sleep next to me (he's been sleeping in the middle room due to my very loud snoring) I'll find out if the snoring has abated.  My numbers in the sleep study said 20.2 ahi and the numbers have plummeted - almost immediately - ranging from 3.9 to .8!  

Here's the good/bad issue I'm dealing with - maybe this is just a vent and nothing to be done but wondered if anyone else dealt with this:
as a woman in my early/mid-60s I have had a tendency to get up to pee - always once a night and sometimes twice  it's a chicken and egg issue - are you waking up because you need to pee or are you waking up due to apnea or some minor lower back pain and your body says: oh, you're up - so let's pee!  LOL but that's been the pattern for years:  asleep 12 to 2/215am (and, I believe, very light sleep) and then through to 8am or sometimes one other wakeup per night.  My issue is that I take a long time to fall asleep - I get a bit of anxiety right as I'm falling asleep  I work through this with some breathing exercises and eventually conk.  

Now..a lot for the good, those patterns are changing.  I'm having a longer period of sleep up front (which makes me think I was only ever lightly asleep before).  Now, I am getting up around 3:30 or even 4am to trot to the bathroom.  then I seem to conk hard and wake up around 7:45-8am.  That's giving me around 8 hours sleep which is what I need.  BUT BUT BUT...I've now had 2 nights with a different pattern: Last night I finally fell asleep at 12:30am ...slept a whopping 6 1/2 hours without waking up - but then woke up and couldn't go back to sleep.  Today, I'm a zombie.  Last week, I had one start to finish with 5 1/2 hours =- woke up before 7  - of course it was light coming into my bedroom and that was that.  I felt like I had major jet lag all day with none of the benefits.  and, worse, I can never seem to actually nap.  Never been able to fall asleep in the day.  

I need my 8 hours.  
Vent done.  It's good - 6 1/2 hours of continuous sleep.  But it's bad: only 6 1/2 hours of sleep.  

ack.  ACK.  

Thanks for listening. 

bean
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frustrating new sleep patterns - the good and the bad
Welcome to the club of less peeing at night. Yes, it is a benefit. I'm 70, male, and I was getting up 2 -4 times a night, and now only once per night. I sleep about 6.5 hrs per night, but for me that is just fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frustrating new sleep patterns - the good and the bad
CPAP while I accept can take people time, it's much better than ignoring.

My wife finds new positions while I wear the mask, works for both.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Odd breathing patterns katbrat 9 110 1 hour ago
Last Post: katbrat
  23 yr old W/ Good AHI - Still tired and foggy daytong 7 229 09-05-2024, 09:05 PM
Last Post: daytong
  AHI looks good, but still feeling bad nh00 54 3,633 09-04-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: LennySleeps
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 207 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
  Lots of flow limitations but good leak rate (restarting CPAP after 2 years off) sleepy331 10 494 08-14-2024, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 12 887 08-12-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Sad HELP - Strange Breathing Patterns Throughout Night bjbeck04 4 234 07-28-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.