Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lots of flow limitations but good leak rate (restarting CPAP after 2 years off)
Lots of flow limitations but good leak rate (restarting CPAP after 2 years off)
Hi all,

After a year of diligent tinkering with CPAP a few years ago, I've recently restarted CPAP after a nasal procedure that has helped my nasal breathing significantly. My hope is that now I will be able to get some benefit from CPAP.

When I opened Oscar and imported my data for the first time in years, I was surprised by a few things: 1. Very good leak rate (practically zero all night), and 2. Notably higher flow limitations than before.

I'm thinking that maybe I need to try increasing my pressure. Any other thoughts?

Right now I'm at 7 cm of water.

Thanks!

Edit: I only highlighted the time that I was actually asleep.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lots of flow limitations but good leak rate (restarting CPAP after 2 years off)
Welcome back!

You are using your Vauto as a simple Cpap, not as a Vauto.  The Vauto is a much better machine than a regular Cpap, and should be set up entirely differently.  I'm not one who can help you choose the correct settings, but hopefully, someone with more knowledge than me will come along soon and help you with that. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lots of flow limitations but good leak rate (restarting CPAP after 2 years off)
Chane your settings to Vauto mode, EPAP min 6.0, PS 4.0, Max IPAP 13.0. Trigger Sensitivity high, and everything else default. Let us know how amazed you are at the difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2024, 07:36 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Chane your settings to Vauto mode, EPAP min 6.0, PS 4.0, Max IPAP 13.0. Trigger Sensitivity high, and everything else default.  Let us know how amazed you are at the difference.

Will do, thanks so much! I'll keep you updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll look forward to seeing how it goes. As Deborah K. said, your machine is capable of resolving these issues. Hopefully we can narrow down what you need pretty quickly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2024, 07:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'll look forward to seeing how it goes. As Deborah K. said, your machine is capable of resolving these issues. Hopefully we can narrow down what you need pretty quickly.

Hi Sleeprider,

Thanks again for helping me out. I really appreciate it!

Here's the data from last night. I used the settings you provided previously.

I did notice that I felt noticeably better using those settings, so that's great! I hope we can continue to dial things in even more.

Thanks again!

PS: Like last time, I only highlighted the time when I was sleeping.

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks pretty good, but now we can address the centrals that have increased. Let's start by changing trigger sensitivity to Very High, and reduce PS to 3.6.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2024, 12:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Looks pretty good, but now we can address the centrals that have increased. Let's start by changing trigger sensitivity to Very High, and reduce PS to 3.6.

Understood! Thank you, will try this and get back to you. Appreciate it as always.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepy331, my responses have become very abbreviated because I'm preparing for a move from PA to FL at the end of the month and I'm just pressed for time at this point. Please understand it is not for lack of interest in your case.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2024, 05:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sleepy331, my responses have become very abbreviated because I'm preparing for a move from PA to FL at the end of the month and I'm just pressed for time at this point. Please understand it is not for lack of interest in your case.

Absolutely no worries at all. No rush! 

Here's my update from last night...

Used the settings you recommended, and unfortunately had absolutely terrible sleep quality even though my numbers actually look better. Breathing still looks pretty "jagged" and unstable. I think there's something really uncomfortable about the feeling of the machine almost breathing in for me. 

Anyways, here's the screenshots from Oscar. 

Thanks again!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 week in, is my AHI of 5.3 good Jarrod 2 83 Yesterday, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Dodies
  transitional/sleep onset apneas after years of PAP gaspsalot 7 285 09-12-2024, 06:46 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 232 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Flat-topped flow rate slatejetpack 8 279 09-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,197 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow
  Erratic flow rate preceding OA weepingwillow 3 184 09-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  23 yr old W/ Good AHI - Still tired and foggy daytong 7 322 09-05-2024, 09:05 PM
Last Post: daytong

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.