Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Hoping to find a fix for my CPAP's decision to start blasting me while inhaling.
Hoping to find a fix for my CPAP's decision to start blasting me while inhaling.
Philips Dreamstation 1. 

It has a recall on it which I just found about while researching this issue. I don't think the issue is related though, but in any case, I've initiatedd the proces to get a new one. But it apparently could take months, so I'm left with this issue in the meantime.

I've been using this machine for three years without a single issue. But about a week ago, in the middle of the night, it started BLASTING air into me during inhalation. Then on exhalation, it would change pressure so steeply and suddenly it almost felt like it was applying active suction. (Just describing the feeling, not claiming that was literally happening!)

It made it uncomfortable to the point of being impossible to use.

I checked all the settings, they were the same as they had always been. I went ahead and turned "c-flex" off, though (the feature that has it do a different pressure level for inhaling vs exhaling) and this seemed to fix the problem, and I learned I actually preferred c-flex off anyway.

Anyway it fixed the problem. For One Night.

The next night, in the middle of the night, it started doing the very same BLASTING behavior. C-flex was still turned off.

Even if I set the presssure lower than would be useful for me, minimizing it for example, it was STILL feeling too strong on inhale to be usable.
So right now I can't use it, unless I can find a fix or workaround. Have you experienced a similar issue? Any idea if there's anything fixable by me that could be causing it?

Mask fits perfectly, I can't detect any leaks.

Interesting related behavior--if I take a deep deep breath in, and exhale very hard afterwards, then for several breaths afterwards, the issue seems to go away. But then over the course of two or three more breaths it builds back up into the BLASTING behavior. :/
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hoping to find a fix for my CPAP's decision to start blasting me while inhaling.
Which model DreamStation1 are you using?
Cpap (pro)
Apap (Auto)
BiPap (Pro)
ASV

Look on the bottom of your machine for a model number if you don't know.

An ASV machine can sometimes cause a blast of air. I've heard folk say that if they blow back hard, it stops.

Unless your Pap machine is malfunctioning, it's hard to determine what the problem might be without seeing your data.

CFlex will lower the pressure when you are exhaling. It's ok if you prefer it off, but that shouldn't have much to do with what your feeling.

Are you using any software? Download the free OSCAR program. Be sure there is an SD card in your Cpap while sleeping. Then take a Screenshot of the daily page in OSCAR and post it here. There are links in my signature line to guide you.

What mask are you using? Are you certain the "blasting of air" isn't coming from your mask? Mask movement will cause a sound like you're describing and can disrupt sleep.
When was the last time you changed your mask or mask cushion?

We can usually spot issues by looking at your data.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling. sanger 111 162,890 09-11-2024, 09:52 AM
Last Post: tedr
  Help me find correct pressure? Wwvx 4 271 08-15-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Smart Start ResMed AirCurve 10 ST Homerec130 3 1,103 08-12-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: r0nwilliams
  Where to find Indepth PAP therapy analysis? PappaJoe 14 783 08-07-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Sorry to start new thread but need nap Morgannon 152 9,512 07-26-2024, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Used resmed 10 [how to find usage hours] Justbreath 6 5,943 07-13-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Off to a good start ATXSleepdeprived 1 264 05-12-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.