Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit F20 leak fix
AirFit F20 leak fix
I love my F20 full face mask - it fits well, makes a good seal, is comfortable - but when I turn over at night, I would end up with a high leak, so my average for the month would be 10-15. 
What really worked for me is a 30" length of a 2" wide foam strap that goes around my the mask and my head, in addition to the straps that come with the mask. I cut a hole it it for the tubing to go through, which also holds the strap in place. It's connected in back with Velcro so the length can be adjusted. I put my strap under the regular face mask straps so that it stays in place.
Result: average leak consistently less than 3 for the past year.
I'm not a manufacturer or engineer, so I can't tell anyone else that it's the right thing to do. But it worked for me so I thought I'd pass this on.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit F20 leak fix
I found the same problem.  And I purchased a strap with a hole in it for the hose and elbow.

But I found that it slipped down on my neck if it was positioned under my ears and slipped upwards if it was positioned above my ears.  Where does your strap sit on the back of your head?  --over the ears??
Post Reply Post Reply
Snorin2, do you have more information about that strap? I would love to try one!
Post Reply Post Reply
pad a cheek "anti leak strap" $23
Seemed expensive to me but any port in a storm!

I found it didn't work for me because I didn't like it going over my ears and it cut into my ears if I pulled it down into the crevice between my ears and my head. but I kept it anyway---and I keep it handy too.

Sometimes I safety pin the straps to take the strain off the velcro (older headgear)---but then in the middle of the night if the mask starts to leak, it is a real hassle to readjust etc. so I just put on the "anti leak strap" over the ears and all. This has only happened to me once and the fix seemed to work----ymmv. Recently I broke out a new headgear---so I am not currently using the safety pins.

available from any supplier who carries the pad a cheek line, I suspect, like cpap.com
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
I found my Airfit F20 leaks a great deal less than my F&P Simplus.  However, I know they say to not tighten the straps too much - pull mask away from face and allow the  seals to nflate against the face etc.. -- But I have found in practice, that a fairly tight fit is actually required for the F20.  Might just be the shape of my face,  ofcourse.
 “Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.”   - DH  Lawrence

oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
@ kingsway:  I recommend you at least try the air touch cushion version---but it is exceptionally expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2023, 08:47 AM)snorin2 Wrote: @ kingsway:  I recommend you at least try the air touch cushion version---but it is exceptionally expensive.

... And they don't even specify if it has gold or platinum fittings!

BTW They ALL seem to be crazily over-priced to me!  I wonder if any of the Chinese made ones are any good?
 “Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.”   - DH  Lawrence

oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a length of Rolyan SoftStrap, which is used for making splints- I picked up a piece at the hospital where I work. It looks like if you get it online, you have to buy 10 yards!

I looked up the pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap online. It looks essentially like what I made. 

The pictures on the pad-a-cheek website show pretty much how I wear it. It goes up at an angle, covering the top part of my ears. 
HOWEVER, I put my strap UNDER the face mask straps. That keeps it from slipping. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I should have explained that the reason the F20 touch is expensive is that it seems to only last a month or two---whereas I have had an F20 fit last 6 months easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting, I am having some leak issues myself and may need to try something like this to cut down on my leaks using the same mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak Rate maybe Skewing AHI ? StratCat48 5 183 Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Equipment] Airfit F20 Headgear Washing Frequency? jefferyscott0 2 212 10-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  EERS using Resmed AirFit P30i Mask GrantT 10 2,076 10-04-2024, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Should Mask Removal Trigger Leak Alarm? Perchance2Dream 1 156 09-29-2024, 08:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Need Help...Possible problems with Airfit 10 Ryd4Life 2 280 09-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Ryd4Life
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 386 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,585 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.