Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with machine settings
RE: Help with machine settings
The response is standard and the EPR is on, set to 3 and full time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Response Standard is OK. 
In our case, I tried "Response Soft" but got an additional increase of Flow limit.
After I changed it back to Standard ,  Flow limit went back to its previous values.
Post Reply Post Reply

So I went and bought a cervical collar from the pharmacy.  I finally was able to sleep with it all night.  I upped my minimum pressure as well. I'm sleeping comfortably with the APAP, so no issues with the mask. It looks like there is still some positional apnea going on, so I'll leave things like it is for a few days I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
The new settings are much better, however pressure continues to be driven by flow limits and snores through mos of the night. I suspect you would do better with a bilevel device like the Aircurve 10 Vauto as it would provide more pressure support to offset the flow resistance in your inspiration. That is not an easy thing to persuade your doctor or insurance as there is an appreciable cost factor. I originally attributed your flow limits and snores to positional issues, but they have been very persistent, even with a collar, so it may be a physiological airway resistance, and that is not easily assessed over the internet. It may help to look at some random zoomed images so we can visualize your breathing by looking at 3-4 minute zooms of your flow rate chart. Is the airway resistance and snoring something you're aware of? Could it be an artifact of your beard? Is there anyway you might consider using nasal pillows to get a more direct pressure?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
            It may be teeth grinding (bruxism) that's going on.  I am aware of having that.  Here are some flow limit snapshots.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I wanted to get to bilevel instead of CPAP, I played the discomfort card with the CPAP pressure. Might be worth considering if true for you, as one means of how to get on that VAuto.

Sometimes you have to have a negative therapy narrative. Like when doc asks if CPAP is doing well, your answer shouldn't be "fine or OK". Maybe it's "no it's not going so well, it's not comfortable".
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I go in again in December.  What's the difference with a bilevel?
Post Reply Post Reply
ttwhite, I need more zoom. The segment should be 3 to 4 minutes long so individual wave forms are visible. The bruxism may explain the snoring chart that does not correlate very well with flow limits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Santa here. not really but I get called that all the time 'cause of my beard, Ho,Ho, Ho, I have no idea where they see a resemblance.
Seriously now. I see an issue with your flow limits, I saw a need for a BiLevel such as a ResMed VAuto, with its capacity for a higher PS or EPR on your system. I also saw a hint of positional and thought that might help. I did notice your EPR was set to 3 which is as high as it can go.

Titration 101
EPAP (Exhale pressure) manages OA events
Increase IPAP via PS or EPR to manage hypopneas (ok there) and Flow Limitations. Here you need help. Unless you have a positional issue that I don't see for sure, you will need more PS Thus a BiLevel.

To be clear, IMHO your flow limits are bad enough to significantly disrupt your sleep. SleepRider is asking for a closer zoom so he can evaluate your breathing literally on a breath by breath level to actually see what is going on.

With that I'll leave you in his very capable hands.

On leaks you are fine, even with a beard. I saw short periods that were not good but overall not bad. I use a P10 pillow mask and I was a dedicated mouth breather when I started. The P10 does avoid any and all beard issues and as stated earlier many so-called mouth breathers naturally adapt to nasal breathing. though some of us (raising my hand) actually have to learn how.
Post Reply Post Reply
              Thanks you two.  Here's a closer look at my breaths. I got rid of my beard sometime last week.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 301 278,693 09-25-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Halian
  [Diagnosis] Help, I changed but the machine settings need to be ??? webersunshine 4 232 08-25-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Help with initial settings for cpap machine jtrops 12 1,482 08-04-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: jtrops
  [Pressure] New cpap user and guessing at machine settings Tsunami 14 718 06-26-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Machine settings (Centrals/Paradoxical/FL) Brastic 5 403 05-15-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Brastic
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 381 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 511 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.