Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help me interpret these Hypopneas
help me interpret these Hypopneas
would love to try to understand why these hyponenas are occurring. I see my breathing wax and wane. Pressure set to 17, been doing this for coming up on a year now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help me interpret these Hypopneas
Hi. Just going to be blunt, you need to be on a higher pressure. CPAP aims to stabilize your airway, to prevent it from collapsing, which is what ultimately limits airflow. That collapse is exactly what you're seeing there with those hypopneas. Except they aren't just hypopneas, a few of those seem to be complete obstructive events, which your machine tagged correctly.

I see you're on APAP with a minimum pressure of 10. I can see no circumstance where that would be enough pressure for you when you're still having complete obstructions at 17. I also see you're using EPR on 3. That means you aren't exhaling against 17 cmH2O, but 14. This could very well be contributing to the obstruction, as your EPAP (the pressure you exhale against) is incredibly important for stabilizing your airway, and preventing obstructive apneas.

It's difficult to tell from this screenshot, but it looks like your apneas may be positional. Do you typically sleep on your side or back? If you switch between the two it could explain the section in which there appear to be no events being flagged. Sharing a screenshot of an entire night would be helpful in figuring this out.

Just based on what I can see here, my main recommendation would be to turn EPR off, (for now) switch the mode from APAP to CPAP, and raise your pressure from 17 to 19. If you're set on using APAP and EPR, you could try raising your min to (preferably) 17 and raising your max to 19, while keeping EPR on 3.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 4 533 09-22-2024, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Interpret Oscar chart please fudo 8 441 09-19-2024, 03:56 AM
Last Post: fudo
  Please help me interpret Oscar chart sriteop 11 408 08-27-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: sriteop
  Please help interpret oscar chart panzer 2 169 08-27-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: panzer
  [CPAP] (I'm Tired) Please help interpret my Oscar data frolic 4 454 08-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Suspected UARS. Can someone help interpret oscar data. lplayer24 2 373 07-16-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Alot of CA's and hypopneas/Still very tired JohnnyHotdog 1 210 07-14-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.