Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Itchy nose under full face mask
Itchy nose under full face mask
Hi

I’ve browsed the archives here enough to see that I’m not the only one who has encountered this problem, but I didn’t see anyone report success in handling it.  So I’m trying again here.

Recently, while getting the new ResMed F40 mask, I was given an F20 to try, as well.  I have to say, I was shocked to find that the F20, which covers over the nose (unlike the f40 and evora, which I had previously) is not only more comfortable than expected but the leaks were almost nil.  It seemed like it was as close as I can get on this journey to finding a low hassle setup as possible.  Finally, I thought!  All except for one issue:  the uncontrollable itching on the surface of my nose.  It wakes me up, I try to ignore it, I reach under the mask to scratch, I take the mask off to scratch, but it is alllll night like that.  I’ve tried turning the humidity up, I’ve tried turning it almost all the way down, but it doesn’t seem to matter.  The itching on my nose, around the corners of the nostrils and on top of the “bulb” is maddening as the air blows across my skin.

Has anyone found a good solution for this other than using a different style of mask?  If I could mitigate this one issue, I would be golden.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Itchy nose under full face mask
I also had unbearable itchiness with the F20 mask. Never did figure out the cause.. I switched to the F30i and never had a problem with itchiness again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2024, 05:05 PM)wickedsleepy Wrote: Hi

I’ve browsed the archives here enough to see that I’m not the only one who has encountered this problem, but I didn’t see anyone report success in handling it.  So I’m trying again here.

Recently, while getting the new ResMed F40 mask, I was given an F20 to try, as well.  I have to say, I was shocked to find that the F20, which covers over the nose (unlike the f40 and evora, which I had previously) is not only more comfortable than expected but the leaks were almost nil.  It seemed like it was as close as I can get on this journey to finding a low hassle setup as possible.  Finally, I thought!  All except for one issue:  the uncontrollable itching on the surface of my nose.  It wakes me up, I try to ignore it, I reach under the mask to scratch, I take the mask off to scratch, but it is alllll night like that.  I’ve tried turning the humidity up, I’ve tried turning it almost all the way down, but it doesn’t seem to matter.  The itching on my nose, around the corners of the nostrils and on top of the “bulb” is maddening as the air blows across my skin.

Has anyone found a good solution for this other than using a different style of mask?  If I could mitigate this one issue, I would be golden.

I started out CPAP Therapy with an AirFit F20 mask. I liked it a lot, except for the itchy nose issue. Well....that and it pinched my nostrils closed making it impossible to breathe thru my nose, even though I'm not a nose breather. 

I then moved on to an AirFit F30 and loved it. It sits below my nose and makes nose breathing easy if I want to do that. I still use the F30 to this very day. It is my preferred mask of choice.  like
Post Reply Post Reply
The F20 has the option of a different pad, IIRC, silicon versus memory foam. Alternatively, they make pads for the bridge of the nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to stop using Dreamwear nasal pillows because i could never escape the feeling of breathing through a straw no matter the pressure or epr.

When i found the F20 i loved it, breathing was effortless and leaks not too bad. But the itching...!

Tried the N20 nasal mask, same thing very easy to breathe, low or no leaks but itchy nose. And often sweaty too.

It sounds like you are similar to me; all humans have small fine hairs on their skin. When we who are extra sensitive or light sleepers feel the moving pressurzed air in turn blowing on our fine hairs it starts to tickle. Even if we would shave we would still feel the air moving along the skin of our nose or face under the mask.

So i decided to see if other nasal pillow or cushion masks are as bad as the Dreamwear when it comes to restricted breathing and to my joy the answer is no. The P10, P30i and N30i are all easy to breathe in and feel a lot better than the Dreamwear nasal pillow. And no more tickle.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Full-face CPAP masks for side sleepers? (Besides Dreamwear?) Cape67 6 271 06-25-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Arrow Major issues transitioning from full face to nasal pillow mask SleepTea 8 432 06-23-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nose sore (exterior) Whacked 2 172 06-17-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  ResMed 11 goes full blast cprstn54 6 356 06-13-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: cprstn54
  [Equipment] AirFit F30i Full Face Mask Rodgui 6 353 06-09-2024, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Rodgui
  [Equipment] F&P full face mask flap question louwho 11 685 06-04-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  Full face mask slipping up over lips basically functional 3 268 05-19-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.