Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Full-face CPAP masks for side sleepers? (Besides Dreamwear?)
Full-face CPAP masks for side sleepers? (Besides Dreamwear?)
This little forum is a great resource, I'm happy that I discovered this tiny corner of the internet. But searching the forum for this particular topic isn't helping so I thought I would just reach out, say hey, and ask you straight up. 

I've been using the Phillips Dreamwear full-face mask for a while, and it works okay BUT there are some issues, as every mask has at least one, I have found.  

Issue number uno is that, for me anyway, the side headgear conduits that run straight over my temples transduce quite a bit of noise. For some, this acts as "white noise" but for me it's always been un-nerving. I tried using the wrap-around foam insulators. However, the swooshing sound is overwhelming, and I have no idea if it just happens to be related to my thick skull perhaps, Too-funny  

Issue number dos is that the Dreamwear head gear wraps around the top of my head, which drives me nuts. I have no idea why, possibly it induces pseudo-claustrophobia, or alternatively, that I am simply, you know, Loco  

Mental instability issues notwithstanding, the options for full-face, or even total-face masks is a bit overwhelming. Sadly I am running on fumes financially as I am hunting for a new job, so I can't just burn through a lot of trial-and-error masks. 

Do you have any experience with (A) full face masks that do NOT wrap over the top of the head (like the Dreamwear) and (B) decent for side-sleeping ?  Coffee Thanks (is that too many smileys?)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full-face CPAP masks for side sleepers? (Besides Dreamwear?)
I'm a die hard side sleeper. The only masks that I have tried are the ResMed AirFit F20 and F30. My machine came with the F20 which was shown to me when I went in to pick it up. 

Both have their pros and cons. My face tends to itch at night and the F30 makes it easier to address that issue. The F20 covers my entire nose and makes it impossible to scratch it if needed. 

I also have a mustache and both masks tend to make it itch. Again, impossible to tend to business if it itches.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Yeah I see the F20, 30 and 40 now(?) looking at the differences between them.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I need to take a break from nasal pillows, i use the F&P Evora. Works a dream for me. Like the F30/F40, but with a firmer area for my nose to rest.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ResMed AirFit F40 on order. Did that just today. It could show up as early as August.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I have some experience with the FF and under-the-nose masks of this type. 
 I figured it is easy to misjudge the right headgear size. It is worth trying a larger size because a tight header stretches the tubes around your head, reducing their cross-section and leading to the "white" noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Resmed F40. It’s designed to be versatile, for side and supine sleepers. If I roll to the side, I do have to hang on to it while I get situated, but after that, no leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow Major issues transitioning from full face to nasal pillow mask SleepTea 8 407 06-23-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Buying masks from Lofta for the first time (prescription required?) nicholasb600 3 197 06-23-2024, 01:16 AM
Last Post: nicholasb600
  Trying other masks chzuck 10 293 06-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Philips DreamWear love/hate Leytonstone 2 208 06-14-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  ResMed 11 goes full blast cprstn54 6 341 06-13-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: cprstn54
  Itchy nose under full face mask wickedsleepy 4 245 06-13-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  [Equipment] AirFit F30i Full Face Mask Rodgui 6 340 06-09-2024, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Rodgui

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.