Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Khavoqi - Therapy Thread
RE: Khavoqi - Therapy Thread
Hello again peeps.

I still seem to be having the issue of taking off my mask, something I have absolutely no awareness or memory of. 

One thing I noticed is that before I take off the mask, I seem to have a huge flatline, seen in the attachments. Is this me maybe rolling on my back, which then consequently closes off my airway, making me wake up, or is it something else? I sometimes put the pillows on my forehead so that they don't make a bunch of noise; could it possibly be that instead?

Thanks.

Added a 2nd post because of the 3 attachment limit.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey everyone.

After some more digging and research, I think I've found the root of my problem; untreated FL's / RERAs.

In Jason (theLankyLefty's) most recent video, he went over RERAs, and how they can be really hard to detect in your data.

After going through my data again, I found (what I believe) to be tons of RERAs just lined up back to back to back.

This, in conjunction with recent articles and videos I've been watching from Barry Krakow, leads me to the conclusion that I'd probably benefit from Bilevel. It seems that as I turn the pressure up to try and solve flow limitations, I then get expiratory pressure intolerance, seen in downward sloping breaths. I've included various screenshots to show what I mean: https://imgur.com/a/wIFTpUg

Could y'all take a look through those screenshots and confirm that the dotted areas are actually RERAs?

Also, for getting a used, cheap bilevel machine, what websites would y'all recommend? In order to get a bilevel through my insurance, I'd have to do an in lab sleep study, something my insurance doesn't cover. I'd save a lot more time and money by just buying one outright than trying to use my insurance.

Thanks, and I look forward to your responses Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
It really helps to zoom into the flow rate to a 3-4 minute segment where the inspiration waves are clearly visible. These images are nearly 20 minutes and just don't have the resolution needed for interpretation. I have purchased a Vauto over Craigslist in the past. Obviously you have to use a payment method to protect that purchase. The machines have gone up in price quite a bit since Covid, and the retail on this is now about $1775, but there are some deals out there. Keep an eye out on DotMed. Supplier #1 has 20% discounts fairly often, so get on their mailing lists. They do require an Rx.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again everyone.

First, the good news: I managed to get an AirCurve VAuto through my insurance. Hooray! 

Now, the bad news: I still have to find the right pressures.

Now, I will say right off the bat that I think the switch was good. For the first time, my breathing is starting to actually look somewhat normal; a lot of my flattened inspiratory peaks are disappearing now, and I have some segments of the night where my breathing is absolutely perfect. 

However, I'm still having a bit of a hard time figuring out exactly what pressures and PS I should be using.

Attached is the data from some of my nights. Would y'all mind taking a look through it and suggest different changes I could make to enhance the therapy? I'm still feeling pretty damn tired despite the switch. https://imgur.com/a/1qccLBz

Also, I do have an in lab titration scheduled for 10/17 in Dr. Barry Krakow's old clinic, out in New Mexico. Is there anything specific I should keep in mind going into the titration? Also, from y'all's experience, is it a good place to go for UARS? I've read some anecdotes on here saying that the new clinic head isn't as UARS focused and thorough as Dr. Krakow was. I also have a 10/30 titration scheduled with Dr. Jerald Simmons in case the New Mexico one doesn't work out.

Thanks,

Khavoqi
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, just a quick question.

In order to treat flow limitations, you increase IPAP (PS), whilst keeping the EPAP the same, correct? 

To my knowledge, this is correct; however, in LankyLefty's most recent videos, he said that you would need to increase both the IPAP and EPAP in order to successfully treat flow limitations.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with Sleeprider here. Lefty's approach on this is very old school, increase pressure to resolve issues.

Per ResMeds titration guide.
First increase EPAP to manage OA. Repeat as necessary.

Then increase PS to manage hypopneas, and flow limits. Repeat as necessary.

Your settings:
Mode: VAuto
Use min EPAP=4
Max IPAP= 15+, this doesn't matter much because you shouldn't hit this as you are really well managed.
PS=5, a bit better than 4 but either is fine.

Now comfort is king even if your numbers go up some.

Based on your numbers your therapy is excellent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again everyone.

I was finally able to get an in lab sleep study done. Apparently, in addition to mild sleep apnea, I have over PLMD (Periodic Leg Movement Disorder), with over 65 leg movements per hour.

From what I've seen, it looks like my only real option from here is to go on medication. Low iron can cause PLMD, but unfortunately, my iron levels have already been checked out and are fine right now.  I was prescribed Pramiprexole, a dopamine agonist, but from the research I did online, it seems like it can cause augmentation and worsen symptoms over time.

Because of that, I decided to opt for Gabapentin, as it seems much more safe, and is even recommended as the first line of treatment by Mayo Clinic. However, I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to start for the dosage; right now, I have 30 100mg tablets, with me being recommended to take 1 a day. From what I've seen online, this seems incredibly low; however, info is really scarce on PLMD; all I can find is info for RLS (Restless Legs Syndrome).

Would anyone on here be able to help me navigate this? As I said, I can't really find any info pertaining to PLMD specifically, and I just want to get back to sleeping again.

I also attached my sleep study report and iron tests in case any of y'all are curious as to the results.

Thanks for the help!

-Khavoqi

Attached Files
.pdf   pap report.pdf (Size: 1.08 MB / Downloads: 4)
.pdf   iron2.pdf (Size: 1.04 MB / Downloads: 1)
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow up post because I couldn't edit the last one.

I forgot to include that I'm still just as tired, despite consistent usage of my CPAP at my titrated pressure. What's even weirder is that in my sleep report, it says my limb movements only led to 4 arousals during the entire night, even though I had over 400 during the course of the study. If they only led to 4 arousals, are my limb movements even a problem, or could it be something else that's causing my fatigue? I went to Dr. Jerald Simmons' lab out in Texas where they specifically test and treat for UARS by using a nasal cannula to measure negative pressure. Because of that, I seriously doubt it's anything airway related causing my fatigue. I'm just a little lost and confused as to what the next steps are. Feels like I'm in an endless cycle of finally finding "the solution", only for there to be some random new thing I have to figure out. Thanks again for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going back to your last submittal of Oscar charts, it looks like you were using a fixed bilevel pressure of 12/5 (PS 7) and getting good results in terms of AHI. With that much PS there is no flow limitation, but I think it might be a bit of overkill. I don't know how to advise on the drug alternatives Pramiprexole or Gabapentin for PLMD. Do your research carefully. I have heard Gabapentin is disruptive to normal sleep and has neurological side-effects. I think I'd be inclined to first follow your doctor's recommendation of Pramiprexole. Feel free to start a new thread on PLMD and the use of either of these drugs to get better member input. Lots of folks here with experience I don't have.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,620 7 hours ago
Last Post: tobiathan
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 64 2,961 9 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 436 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 138 6,095 10-19-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Abdulfakih
  GarlicMassage's Therapy Thread GarlicMassage 18 1,962 10-18-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: GarlicMassage
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 32 1,251 10-17-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81
  HarleyGirl63 - Therapy Thread HarleyGirl63 13 935 10-17-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: HarleyGirl63

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.