Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Help! CPAP Machine Turning Off During the Night
Gross 
Help! CPAP Machine Turning Off During the Night
Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing a troubling issue with my AirSense 11 CPAP machine. It has been turning off or stopping unexpectedly in the middle of the night, disrupting my sleep.

Details of the Issue:
  • Machine: AirSense 11
  • Mask: F&P Solo
  • Pressure Settings: Min 8.4 cmH₂O, Max 12.4 cmH₂O
  • EPR: Off
  • Software: OSCAR for monitoring therapy data
Steps I've Taken So Far:
  • Checked Power Supply: The machine is plugged into a surge protector.
  • Auto Start/Stop Feature: These features have been off, but the issue persists.
  • Inspecting for Leaks: Ensured there are no excessive leaks around the mask that could cause the machine to shut off.
  • Firmware Update: Verified that the machine is running the latest firmware version.
  • Water Tank: Made sure the water tank is full each night.
OSCAR Data Summary:
  • AHI: 0.56
  • Large Leak: 0.78%
  • Clear Airway (CA): 0.00
  • Obstructive Apnea (OA): 0.00
  • Unclassified Apnea (UA): 0.56
  • Hypopnea (H): 0.00
  • RERA (RE): 0.00
Statistics:
  • 95% Pressure: 9.32 cmH₂O
  • 95% EPAP: 9.32 cmH₂O
  • 95% Leak Rate: 1.20
  • 99.5% Leak Rate: 100.80
I'm not very familiar with reading my OSCAR logs, but I've attached them for reference.
Despite these efforts, the problem continues. Here are some additional questions:
  • Are there any specific logs or data points in OSCAR I should review for clues?
  • Has anyone experienced similar issues with their AirSense 11 and found a solution?
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! CPAP Machine Turning Off During the Night
The S11 will shut off because of sensing a large leak..so it looks like the leak rate went up and it shut off (from the charts you posted).. I would also do a hard reset on it:

'Disconnect the power supply, remove the water chamber, and detach the mask. Wait for at least 30 seconds, then reconnect everything and power it on again.'
Post Reply Post Reply
When my chart looks like that, it signifies I tossed the mask off in my sleep in the middle of the night. I might even put it back on in my sleep. If I took a bathroom break, I also might forget to hook up again after getting back in bed.

I made it work better for myself by really working at not throwing my mask off, but also evaluating the pressure in the moments before I took the mask off. If I felt I couldn’t breathe well, I’d throw my mask off.
Post Reply Post Reply
why disable smartstart ? i know ppl say it causes issues but i've it for 2 months and it's fine. it would at least ensure the therapy restarts if the machine restarts during the night.

try another outlet, maybe it experiences voltage drops which would shut off the machine. i would try without the surge protector too, maybe it is faulty. They say surge protectors should be replaced every 3-5y but i'm not an electrical engineer!

(06-26-2024, 09:55 PM)Phaleronic Wrote: The S11 will shut off because of sensing a large leak..so it looks like the leak rate went up and it shut off (from the charts you posted)..  

it would only shut off if he has smartstop on which he said he turned off.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with SmartStart is that it doesn’t always start. The OP here seems to have turned off smart surf and eliminated that as a reason why his machine seems to stop. Otherwise, smart start could look exactly what this sleeper’s chart shows. This is my personal experience and my DME’S.
Post Reply Post Reply
maybe that was an issue with the 10 and it's combined (i believe?) smartstart/smartstop feature or some update improved it but its working fine with the 11 in my experience. i use it every day to turn it on.

not always starting is better than not starting at all isn't it? since he eliminated it as a reason why not try it? while leaving smartstop off of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I did a hard reset, but last night I woke up after four hours to find my mask off, even though the machine was still running. It had been off my face for about an hour.

I think the issue might have been the filter hatch, tube, or reservoir not being seated properly, so I paid extra attention to making sure they were all correctly in place.

I have the F&P Solo Nasal mask, but I think I need to try a different mask to prevent this from happening again. I’m going to try the F40 once it arrives in the mail.

I hope this will help.

Regarding the AutoStart feature: from all the advice I've seen, many people suggest turning it off to rule it out as a problem. I plan to keep it off until I can get consistent sleep, and then I might turn it back on if needed. I don’t mind pressing the button manually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully you found the solution Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2024, 10:12 PM)GoblinDiplomacy Wrote: Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I did a hard reset, but last night I woke up after four hours to find my mask off, even though the machine was still running. It had been off my face for about an hour.

I think the issue might have been the filter hatch, tube, or reservoir not being seated properly, so I paid extra attention to making sure they were all correctly in place.

I have the F&P Solo Nasal mask, but I think I need to try a different mask to prevent this from happening again. I’m going to try the F40 once it arrives in the mail.

I hope this will help.

Regarding the AutoStart feature: from all the advice I've seen, many people suggest turning it off to rule it out as a problem. I plan to keep it off until I can get consistent sleep, and then I might turn it back on if needed. I don’t mind pressing the button manually.

i don't mind pressing the button, i just don't want to wake up with the mask on and the machine off if for some reason the power cuts out during the night. as long as you keep smartstop off i bet you won't have issues.

i hope you've resolved your issue!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2024, 04:57 AM)Narcil Wrote: i don't mind pressing the button, i just don't want to wake up with the mask on and the machine off if for some reason the power cuts out during the night. as long as you keep smartstop off i bet you won't have issues.

i hope you've resolved your issue!

This is what a UPS is for - I built my own out of a LFP battery and a few components.

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...#pid520602
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Aircurve 10 VAUTO turning itself off and on throughout the night?? 17WRX 4 119 09-29-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: 17WRX
  CPAP Newbie - Waking All Night With Mask Leaks Embeeous 37 1,213 09-26-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Embeeous
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 301 278,509 09-25-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Halian
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,701 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 15 1,508 09-03-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  [CPAP] (OSCAR) Results of first night with CPAP machine dnserror 1 222 08-29-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Looking to buy my own CPAP machine mrjeswan 5 387 08-28-2024, 06:43 AM
Last Post: FLcracker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.