Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Measuring HRV (Heart Rate Variability)
Measuring HRV (Heart Rate Variability)
If I read this right, heart rate variability (HRV) is a pretty good predictor of sleep quality and severity of health effects caused by Sleep Apnea.

Has anyone measured their HRV over time and noticed a change with treatment?

Is there a device/setup I can use to import this data to OSCAR?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Measuring HRV (Heart Rate Variability)
My HRV plummeted significantly when I started treatment. I'm one month in and it still continues to decline. I don't know what to make of it, but that's how I ended up at this old thread.

EDIT: Oops-- I commented using my husband's login! Darned shared computers. If I'm recalling correctly, his HRV did not take as significant of a dive when starting treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2022, 12:45 PM)YouTakeMyBreathAway Wrote: Has anyone measured their HRV over time and noticed a change with treatment?

I did not perform a systematic study over time because the effect of better treatment, i.e., fewer events and lower FLs, had an immediate effect on my HR variability. It decreased. 
There are long threads about selecting oxygen sensors compatible with OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first night I started BiPap therapy my HRV dropped from over 200 ms to under 30ms.  I had reoccurring Afib that two ablations had not fixed.  After eight years the cardiologist suggested we look at OSA as a possible trigger (it was at the bottom of their list to consider so it took a while).  I was first diagnosed with congestive heart failure and Afib over ten years ago!!?

All I can say for sure is it’s been over a year since my last cardioversion and my HRV is consistently low.  When my HRV was over 200ms I knew I was either in Afib or it was coming.  That changed when I started therapy 18 months ago.

I use an Apple Watch to monitor my HRV data.  The data would have to be extracted from the iPhone Health app then somehow be imported into Oscar.  A good programmer could do it but would have to have reason to spend the development time.  I do see variations from night to night but they fall with a fairly narrow range I regard as normal (20-50). I really haven’t seen any correlation yet with my daily Oscar data but one might exist.

Don’t know if any of this helps, but that’s been my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak Rate maybe Skewing AHI ? StratCat48 2 57 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  Are pulse rate changes significant during sleep? UsuallyTired 6 223 10-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 154 09-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  Respiration Rate wickedsleepy 12 1,219 09-24-2024, 11:36 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Newbie to OSCAR - why mask leakage rate is so high thanh.oz 1 198 09-22-2024, 06:37 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 5 464 09-16-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 384 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.