Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respiration Rate
RE: Respiration Rate
(02-08-2024, 03:47 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The respiratory rate is calculated by how often the flow direction crosses the zero line.  Snoring, coughing, or sniffling can affect the reporting of this value.

- Red

So I'm guessing the coughing fits I had the last two night could throw off respiratory rate quite a bit correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's something bizarre. After over a year of having these regular nightly periods with very high respirations rates, essentially like I'm hyper-ventilating in my sleep (which my wife witnessed multiple times), I now think I understand what the problem was. I don't understand why nasal pillow masks with mouth tape did not cause the same issue, but I decided to a look at all the various clinical settings on my Resmed Airsense 10. I noticed one I did not recognize: AB Filter. It was set to "Yes." I looked this setting up, and I realized I definitely do not have one of those in-line plastic anti-bacterial filters. I use the standard white paper filters that go in the side door of the machine. I set the AB Filter field to No and, at the time, I was using my nasal pillow with mouth tape. A few days later, I experimented by going back to my full face mask, noticing that something felt a little different since changing that setting. The pressure behavior of the machine was slightly different. Anyway, ever since then, I have not had these issues. The flow curves look MUCH better, much more like normal, as well. I don't know exactly how that setting changes how the machine behaves, but it seems like it does... and it seems like its NOT GOOD for that setting to be on when you don't in fact have an anti-bacterial filter installed! I'm grateful this is resolved, but I'm a little annoyed that I was given the machine with this setting wrong over a year ago and have suffered so much with this @#$ machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Newbie to OSCAR - why mask leakage rate is so high thanh.oz 1 94 09-22-2024, 06:37 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 5 361 09-16-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 317 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Flat-topped flow rate slatejetpack 8 380 09-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,395 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow
  Erratic flow rate preceding OA weepingwillow 3 250 09-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Measuring HRV (Heart Rate Variability) YouTakeMyBreathAway 3 708 08-28-2024, 09:47 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.