Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Erratic flow rate preceding OA
Erratic flow rate preceding OA
I've noticed that my flow rate is almost always erratic immediately before an obstructive apnea-- I've attached a few examples from last night. It looks a lot different than my husband's charts, which makes me wonder if something odd might be going on. Thoughts?

If you'd like to see my charts without zooming in, I've posted several in my thread here: https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...ion--46001

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Erratic flow rate preceding OA
It appears that you are having an arousal prior to your OA...nothing really unusual about it, looks just like mine do.  I did notice that you are having a number of OA's and you are already using a fairly high minimum pressure.   If you are a back sleeper it may be causing some of the apneas.  You could try sleeping on your side, that is what I had to do.  Otherwise raising you minimum pressure more may be the only answer, if you raise your min pressure I would change the EPR to 3 to help on your exhale
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Old Steve. I sleep on my side only, so unfortunately, position changes won't help.

Can you explain more about having an arousal prior to each OA? I can understand waking up after an OA, but I can't wrap my head around why waking up would seemingly cause OAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
The arousal is not causing the apnea.  I think in this instance the arousal is just the beginning of the apnea.  The OA is just starting and you are not into a full Obstructive Apnea just yet, but it is still just an arousal.  Then your airway starts closing down and you will not be able to breath.  After ten seconds the machine records it as an apnea.  Anyway, I looked back on several of my apneas and they looked almost identical to yours.

Hopefully this makes some sense to you.  If not I am sure there are more knowledgeable folks on the forum that could do a better job of answering your question. 
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 249 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Flat-topped flow rate slatejetpack 8 299 09-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,262 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow
  Flow limit and pressure hobway 8 313 09-04-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Jlmerlav
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 4 241 09-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dodies
  Question about flow limitations Uzupan 5 338 09-02-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [CPAP] How do I fix flow limitations? dnserror 5 327 09-02-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: carnuntum

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.