Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Irritation Using Resmed P30i Mask
Brick 
Nasal Irritation Using Resmed P30i Mask
Hi,

I'm on week four of my introduction to CPAP. I've tried three masks so far and I like the p30i the best. The problem is, I get nasal irritation and it doesn't seem to be alleviating. It was suggested to use lanolin nipple cream on my nostrils which has helped but the irritation wakes me around 3-4 times a night still. It feels like the way it does when I have a cold and blow my nose a lot. It's the inside of the nostril on the tip of the nose.

Does anyone have any tips that could help me? I feel like I"m really close to getting a full night's sleep and just need to fix this one issue. I tried the n30i but that's a much worse experience for me. For some reason the n30i, makes me feel like I'm not getting enough air.

Thanks very much!

Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Irritation Using Resmed P30i Mask
One issue many have is soreness on the underside of the nose. I think I was the one who recommended using nipple cream to help, but it does not solve the problem, only covers it up. We tend to tighten mask adjustment points in the belief it will help with the seal, but all it ends up doing is creating a friction point that gets sore and hurts like Charles Dickens. 

Sizing of pillows is important. Too small and the pillows slide too far into the nostrils creating a friction point. Too big and they do not seal properly. When I try a new mask I either get it from a supplier with a return/replacement policy or get the package with different sizes. My accuracy guessing the proper size is about as accurate as my winning lottery ticket purchases.

The P30i is a strange beastie with the air tubes on the sides running to the top of the head hose connection, so no adjustments there. You only have the back of the head adjustment. When I tried the P30i I found that the sizing was difficult due to not only the size of my noggin, but also being bald so I sweated underneath the tubes causing it to slide. When I tightened it down to stop that, my nose was rubbed raw even using nipple cream. I tried different sizes of masks and tubing, but it ended up being a failed experiment.

I switched to the P10 pillows and learned how to adjust it properly so no more rawness. The trick for me with most masks is to not tighten them down too much, just having them seated gently against the skin so that when air pressure is applied they seal when the silicone inflates. So far no issues, but it took time to find the proper way to set it up.

There is no shame in giving up on a mask. I probably kept trying with some longer than I should have, but since then have learned some masks just don’t work for me. Finding a mask or masks that work is a process, unfortunately an expensive process. But once you find some that work, Bob’s your Uncle. If you can, buy a few for backstock as a safety measure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Irritation Using Resmed P30i Mask
Hey thanks for the tip. I just tried the P10 mask and so far it’s much better than the p30i. I was assuming that p30i would be better because it’s newer and has the tube at the top but I just couldn’t get it tight enough to stop leaks that would also not cause me pain. P10 is a much better fit. I just wish it was easier to clean and had a better build quality. Oh well,. Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 12 20,059 06-30-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Need quick recommendation for nasal pillow mask NewlyDiagnosed 5 171 06-29-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airfit P10 nasal pillow+tube > Resmed S11 heated tubing, which adapter? NightOwl42 3 131 06-29-2024, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Oikos22girls
Arrow Major issues transitioning from full face to nasal pillow mask SleepTea 8 385 06-23-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  fisher paykel simplus mask on resmed machine Heaviside 5 163 06-23-2024, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Heaviside
  Initial impression of basic nasal mask exploring possible alternatives o0Appy0o 2 135 06-23-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: o0Appy0o
  Headgear for P30i and Dreamwear Cloudboy 1 196 06-07-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.