Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need advice: switched from P10 mask to P30i
Need advice: switched from P10 mask to P30i
I've been wearing a P10 resmed mask since I started in June.  My pressure (sorry, I don't use Oscar) is 6-8 and I usually clock in at 7.8 with my AHI always being below 2 - usually 1.5 and under.  (I was tested at 20.5 AHI so it was a great success).  I have worn size M nose pads.  

I was bothered by the 'nose hose' - always pulling =, it felt to me.  I ordered a P30i mask and wore it today for a short nap.  It's a size small mask, not their standard - I'm 5'3" and not particularly large faced.  I used the M nose piece and laid down.  

I was laying down with it for 0.8 hours ...about  15 min on my back just watching tv then turned onto my side (I'm a side sleeper).  Can't say I 'slept', per se, but was there for the rest of that time.  I turned it off, went into the clinical settings and was shocked to see that it said that my AHI were at 4.0 (pressure set the same - and overall, landed, as usual, at 7.8)  

WHY would my AHI go up? Do I need a stronger pressure for this mask vs the other??? 

Anyone have any insight?? I really want to make this change work. 

Thanks.

bean
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice: switched from P10 mask to P30i
We use Oscar to make informed decisions on settings, so it's worth trying to get started. AHI is a pretty meaningless statistic, especially if you're awake. You need to know the type of apnea (obstructive, clear or hypopnea) to even begin to judge the appropriate response. For a nap of less than one-hour, I would not be reaching for the settings knob. Naps and semi-awake rest with the mask on are not typical and breathing can be erratic.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Came back to say: you were right.  I panicked too early.  (also, I had a horrible night's sleep the previous night).  I calmed myself down, got in bed, and ended up with a big long sleep (up twice to use the bathroom - but we had a late dinner so not unusual - and liked that i didn't have to take the whole mask off to do so).  Slept great and the numbers in the morning were great - AHI at 0.9 (I really don't have a problem with obstructive or central - those numbers are always very low).  

So....  Sleep-on-pillow here's hoping for tonight again.  

bean
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what it's all about. Better sleep and more comfort. Everything else will fall into place.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 309 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Looking for advice for my settings Vyce 3 166 09-01-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Cleaning advice needed for Resmed p30i AshSF 2 141 08-28-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Seriously Need Mask Advice: Please Help LuminousOne 7 348 08-13-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink Switched from Full Face Mask (mouth breather) to Nasal Pillow EntRESTo 1 306 08-07-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Cleaning ResMed AirFit P30i/N30i exhaust port asterisk 1 225 08-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Changing n30i for p30i mickapoo 6 310 07-31-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.