Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Custom-Fitted Masks?
Custom-Fitted Masks?
Hi.  I'm a newbie to this board.  I'm writing for my mother who is 91 and partially paralyzed from a stroke.

Does anybody make custom-fitted CPAP masks?  We have tried many existing masks and none seem to fit my mother's (aged, gaunt, sensitive) face well.  Either they leak or they are too tight.  Does anybody make a mask that is custom-fitted, perhaps using scan and 3D printing technology?

Any thoughts, leads, links, responses appreciated--including "No such masks do not exist."

Thanks,

Tony

ps. I apologize if this topic has been covered before.  A quick search of the site disclosed no entries on this topic in the last few years.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Custom-Fitted Masks?
Bleep is probably the closest you can get to fitted. That is if you can control mouth leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear about your mother's dilemma.  I have possibly looked at over 250 masks (or just about every one that is online).  One that comes to mind here in your mother's specific situation is the Fisher and Paykel Forma (full face mask).  The Bleep could work like grubsztyl said.  This one has a very large space at the bottom of the mask that goes underneath the chin.  I don't know how well it even works (or stops leaks).  If you want to, do an internet search on this one and see if you think it might help your mother.  You know your mother's situation best, so this mask may not work at all.  I hope that you find success.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Bleep maskless system and love it!  They make two types now, the Bleep DreamPort system and the Bleep Eclipse.  I like the DreamPort system the best, but it is quite fiddly to put on, and if your mother has to put the mask on herself, she would likely not be able to do so.  The Eclipse is much easier because it attaches with magnets.  If someone else put it on for her, the DreamPorts might be preferable because it is lighter without the metal required by the Eclipse.  The wonderful part of either Bleep is that there is no actual mask and no straps on the head and face.  Insurance covers them like any mask.

Here's a link to their webpage:  DME Link removed.  Visit BleepSleep's website.

I pray that you find a solution that is just right for your mother.  Smile

-----
Moderator Action: DME Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, links to DME-owned or DME-operated websites and links to pages that sell prescription-required items are prohibited in forum posts.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules.

-----
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-29-2024, 10:20 PM)TonyBoBony Wrote: Does anybody make a mask that is custom-fitted, perhaps using scan and 3D printing technology?
Tony

Hi Tony,
Unfortunately, finding a mask that is comfortable and doesn't leak is one of the hardest
parts of Cpap therapy.  Your mother may be more comfortable with one of the nasal pillow masks, which are more minimal on the face.  

Does your mom need a full face mask possibly due to mouth breathing?  

Googling custom-fitted masks tells me there's some research being done by scanning the patient's face and using 3D printing.  I don't know how far the research has gone and I haven't heard of anyone actually using such a mask.

Sorry, I hope you can find a solution for your mom.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input!  My mother is a mouth breather, and accordingly, I believe that a nasal pillow design will not work for her.

ApneaSeal is a company that does a 3D face scan to create a custom mask.  Unfortunately, they are located in Australia, require a visit, and only make nose masks, not ones that cover the mouth.  I'm surprised some company in the US doesn't do the same thing.  (They can scan remotely and print swim goggles!)

Tony
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sharing my observations on refreshing old f30i masks erouting 10 505 08-28-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: erouting
  Some masks better for pressures above ~8? UsuallyTired 11 576 08-18-2024, 12:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry [Equipment] Masks all either cause pressure sores or blow off my face middleofnowhere 10 505 07-10-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Full-face CPAP masks for side sleepers? (Besides Dreamwear?) Cape67 6 763 06-25-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Buying masks from Lofta for the first time (prescription required?) nicholasb600 3 417 06-23-2024, 01:16 AM
Last Post: nicholasb600
  Trying other masks chzuck 10 521 06-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Looking for help with issues with Resmed masks wvdthree 5 416 06-07-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.