Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member with a question
New member with a question
Had a recent sleep study and it showed I have moderate OSA. I was supplied with a resmed airsense 11 and a nasal pillow. 

My question is thus. Sleep study says OSA. My resmed machine says I have CSA. Which of course scared the heck out of me as CSA is much more problematic to treat. Is it likely that the airsense 11 is misinterpreting. 

I will of course ask the dr. to clarify what was on the sleep study results. But that can take a while. 

In the meantime. I’m scared to death of resp failure that the apap machine indicates.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member with a question
CSA. Is a central apnea and all that means is you are holding your breath. If you pull up a blanket or roll over in bed you probably hold your breath. If it is 10 seconds or longer it is a central apnea. 

Many people who have started pap therapy get some until their body gets use to the therapy. This is called treatment emergent apnea and should decline as your body gets use to the therapy. 

It happens because your therapy is working getting ride of CO2. 

If your sleep study did NOT record many centrals you are doing fine. I would suggest you download OSCAR and post your information from the SD card in your machine. If you don’t have a SD card get one and start recording your nights.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2024, 08:46 PM)staceyburke Wrote: CSA. Is a central apnea and all that means is you are holding your breath. If you pull up a blanket or roll over in bed you probably hold your breath. If it is 10 seconds or longer it is a central apnea. 

Many people who have started pap therapy get some until their body gets use to the therapy. This is called treatment emergent apnea and should decline as your body gets use to the therapy. 

It happens because your therapy is working getting ride of CO2. 

If your sleep study did NOT record many centrals you are doing fine. I would suggest you download OSCAR and post your information from the SD card in your machine. If you don’t have a SD card get one and start recording your nights.

thanks stacyburke,  I need to dig an SD card out of my camera bag while I wait for a reply from my VA sleep center. 

i would of course lend more credence to the study as opposed to an apap machine with one algorithm for everyone.   
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi super7pilot

Keep in mind Resmend Airsense 11 is only compatible with SD cards 32g or less (I made that mistake the first night with a 64g SD card and it didn't work! I now use an 8g one from my camcorder).
Post Reply Post Reply
No, a Resmed 11 series has been tested all the way up to a 128 GB card. Prior to the 11 series, 32 GB was the maximum. With that said, since the Resmed only stores a limited range of data, anything over 4 GB in size is wasted. The 11 series only stores 365 days of summary data, 30 days of detailed data and 30 sessions of high-resolution data.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To determine how bad these CA are, most likely best answer is compare the detailed sleep study to OSCAR data from your CPAP. Most users will have some amount of Central Apnea in OSCAR after beginning CPAP due to higher CO2 flushing than would otherwise be normal.

If there were high levels of CA on the sleep study, that's putting CA into the different status, I should say possibly but not definitely though. It depends on the level, and the percentage they make up.

If you post those data points, members will comment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SarcasticDave, I suppose I’m likely making a mountain out of a Mole hill. 

As I just had the sleep study. If the sleep lab had seen a lot of CSA’s and were a concern, they would have given me the Airwave 11 ASV version. 

But like the curious person I am. I set up the machine to give detailed info. And I saw the CSA’s.  I have called the sleep lab and requested CSA vs OSA events in my lab study.

I have loaded a 32gb card into my device and have downloaded ‘oscar’ to my macbook. However, I’m not going to look at any info until I get a call back from the lab. 

I've worked myself up enough and don’t need to add to it. I’ll post up the lab info when I get it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, that is why we’re here, because doctors don’t always issue the right machine. Docs don’t always get this Apnea therapy right. They get true CA treatment wrong, just like common Apnea therapy. Don’t be apologetic for being thorough in your therapy. If you go down rabbit holes chasing squirrels, we’ll reel you in.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New member looking for Oscar data help mttm 19 876 10-09-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: mttm
  New member Help! americasclassics 16 748 07-16-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: americasclassics
  [Treatment] New Member - Please Critique My Treatment Plan LuminousOne 4 312 06-09-2024, 09:19 PM
Last Post: LuminousOne
  New Member Intro GiveMeAllTheSleep 3 269 06-04-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: GiveMeAllTheSleep
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 559 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 771 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,644 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.