Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New Member - Please Critique My Treatment Plan
New Member - Please Critique My Treatment Plan
Hello,

Background
I was diagnosed with OSA via a home test ordered by a sleep pulmonologist who my PCP referred me to. AHI -  19.1, with some severe O2 desats (70's, 80's). I had a tiration study which was inconclusive because I tapped out during the bipap portion (16/11) due to waking up with extreme aerophagia and the IP cutting off a good portion of my exhale. Note: During the 25 minutes at this setting, events were "0" in all categories and minimum 02 stat was 92. It would have helped if the sleep tech gave me recommendations which would help me deal with this or let me know that I needed to complete one more hour on the bipap, but that wasn't her style. The recommendation in the report was to complete a bi-pap titration due to sub-optimal titration OR an empiric trial of APAP with pressure range of 10-20. 
My PCP also referred me to an ENT who diagnosed enlarged turbinates, a septal deviation, 
and collapsed nasal valves. I will be having a radiofrequency turbinate reduction on Wednesday.
My dentist is making me a MAD to have on hand to use during brief naps, if the apap malfunctions, and while I am waiting to actually receive the machine. I get the MAD tomorrow.   

Plan (mine)
I go back to the sleep pulmonologist tomorrow. I will be adamant about receiving a prescription. I'm going to ask for an auto bipap (ResMed Air Curve) because it will cover higher pressures and will enhance comfort. I do not want to go through the standard DME's. There is a local stand-alone with great reviews and said to provide good support end education. They will help with mask selection and fitting. This will likely involve insurance, but I'm not giving up my choices or privacy (remote result viewing/programming). If this is not negotiable, I'll use them for mask fitting and initial supplies and then go to Lofta and self pay. I get a 25% discount on supplies (not the machine) at LOFTA being an RN.    

What do you think?

What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member - Please Critique My Treatment Plan
You're on the right track. A prescription for a Resmed Vauto and self-titration would be a good bet we can get you dialed in pretty quickly. The need for high pressure and poor titration results are often the result of "positional apnea". https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

Read the wiki linked above to understand why very high pressure might not resolve apnea until positional issues are addressed. As long as you don't have significant central or complex apnea, we can help you to dial in any device, with preference to bilevel over CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!

I thought it was positional, too. At least half of the time on bipap was supine, which I hate, or somewhat on my side with my chin tucked in. Neither is a good position for sleep apnea, I understand that they want to see results from the worst case scenario, but let's be reasonable. I had no central apnea or Cheyne-Stokes events.
The sleep tech was not helpful. She told me what she was doing but almost nothing to help me adapt to, and comply with, the test process. In retrospect, I think she should have had me take a break and walk around for a bit to relieve the aerophagia enough so I could continue, calm down, and finish the last round on bipap. I should have thought of counting during inspiration and expiration to adapt to the rhythm. Or, at least, popped a gas-ex. 

I don't know what I would do with our the help from people like you. This forum is excellent and the information is valid and scientifically based.

I have OSCAR downloaded and ready to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure you ask for the ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto. That's the best.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
That's exactly the one I chose.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Central Apnea - Treatment Emergent vs Altitude ausername 4 128 4 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] New issues after 4 years of treatment Compton2233 4 159 Today, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Compton2233
  New member with a question super7pilot 7 188 10-15-2024, 02:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member looking for Oscar data help mttm 19 891 10-09-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: mttm
  ac123 Treatment Thoughts/Help ac123 21 1,360 10-07-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: ac123
  treatment-emergent central apnea? CyberSparrow 2 240 10-06-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: CyberSparrow
  Seeking Treatment Advice Please rosetech 3 244 10-03-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.