Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New smartwatch doesn't detect sleep most of the time
Question 
New smartwatch doesn't detect sleep most of the time
So I picked up a new smartwatch and I'm finding that at least half of the days it doesn't recognize that I've gone to sleep. Also during the days it does detect my sleep, it only picks up less than half the sessions, so for example waking up going to the bathroom, and going back to sleep would mean that it wouldn't pick it up the second session. Now, it's possible that this watch's sleep detection algorithm is buggy, but could it be possible that my sleep patterns are just very disturbed, and my sleep doesn't look like typical sleep to the watch?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New smartwatch doesn't detect sleep most of the time
There are lots of smart watches out there, and the quality of their sleep detection varies a lot. What are you using?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Watch some YouTube videos from “The Quantified Scientist”. His research shows that in comparison to medical grade equipment the absolute top-of-the-line smartwatches or rings are only about 80% accurate. As you move down in price the accuracy follows. This does not mean you should not use a smartwatch, but that you need to remember it is simply an algorithm based on testing that approximates sleep stages using whatever sensors the device has available.

Basically, it is a drunken know-it-all on your wrist or finger.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a model from a company called ApexWear. I won't dismiss the possibility it's just a low-quality brand of course, but I would rather know if it's just the watch or if it's my own sleep patterns.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2024, 01:34 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: Watch some YouTube videos from “The Quantified Scientist”. His research shows that in comparison to medical grade equipment the absolute top-of-the-line smartwatches or rings are only about 80% accurate. As you move down in price the accuracy follows. This does not mean you should not use a smartwatch, but that you need to remember it is simply an algorithm based on testing that approximates sleep stages using whatever sensors the device has available.

Basically, it is a drunken know-it-all on your wrist or finger.

Okay, I'll check those videos, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  myAir when sleep time is 4am to 4pm the next day iknownothing 2 422 Yesterday, 05:19 AM
Last Post: iknownothing
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 154 7,731 10-01-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Please recommend a facial mask that doesn't touch the bridge of the nose. Asjb 5 145 10-01-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Asjb
  Prisma Smart doesn't increase pressure mark123456 4 170 09-28-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Waste of Time? - Pulmonary Visit mark.apnea 8 342 09-26-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Another low (really low) AHI but tired - first time OSCAR user xtracheese 4 217 09-25-2024, 10:41 PM
Last Post: xtracheese
  [CPAP] Please help, first time analyzing my oscar data napnea 3 244 09-13-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Old Steve

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.