Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Oscar, please help me understand the data.
New to Oscar, please help me understand the data.
Hello I'm brand new to Oscar and CPAP in general. I've been using it for about a week now but I only just really found out that there were better ways to get data from the machine and got myself the needed items to do so, now I'm looking at these charts and thinking, what does it all mean lol. Any help with reading these charts would be great and perhaps tips on what to monitor as I continue recording my data.

Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to Oscar, please help me understand the data.
Hi Stray! - Welcome
Your Flow Limits control your pressure. Flow Limits can be controlled by using the EPR option. I would recommend that you set your EPR to 3 (Full-Time) and your pressure range 10 minimum and leave it at 15 maximum. This will start you off at a 10cm inhale and a 7cm exhale and will top out at a 15cm inhale and a 12cm exhale. Let's see if that helps you.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Stray Smile

Since you're having OAs and Hs, AND CA events you please need to raise your minimum pressure to 7cm, but keep EPR OFF please, EPR needs much more pressure to keep apnea control alive, and since you're so low on minimum pressure you don't need EPR for the flow limits.

Please give this adjustment a few nights to work but send the next night's chart when you can please. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello thank you both for the welcome. I had already changed my machine before I could see your post Phaleronic, but this is my report from last night using Crimsons suggestions.

Should I continue on with the settings provided or would possibly Phaleronic's suggestions yield better results? Thanks again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are sleeping on your back, please try and avoid this position. It is the worst for OAs. Followed by chin tucking. The preferred position is Side sleeping. Chin tucking can e caused by several factors. One is improperly having the lower back head strap too low on the back of the head. You will know if this is a problem by simply tilting your head back and then forward while it is on. If it gets tighter when you tilt your head back and looser when tilting your head forward, then it is too low on the head. When it is in the proper position, the mask tension will not change regardless of your head position. If it is too low, then during sleep the body will try and reduce the facial pressure by tilting the head forward, thus causing chin tucking.

The emergent CAs can be therapy induced and will subside as your body becomes accustomed to the pressure.

It's your call on deciding whose recommendation to follow.

The bottom line is, how do you feel?
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stick with what Crimson Nape said. He knows what to do.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(Yesterday, 04:54 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: If you are sleeping on your back, please try and avoid this position.  It is the worst for OAs.  Followed by chin tucking.  The preferred position is Side sleeping.    Chin tucking can e caused by several factors.  One is improperly having the lower back head strap too low on the back of the head.  You will know if this is a problem by simply tilting your head back and then forward while it is on.  If it gets tighter when you tilt your head back and looser when tilting your head forward, then it is too low on the head.  When it is in the proper position, the mask tension will not change regardless of your head position.  If it is too low, then during sleep the body will try and reduce the facial pressure by tilting the head forward, thus causing chin tucking.

The emergent CAs can be therapy induced and will subside as your body becomes accustomed to the pressure.

It's your call on deciding whose recommendation to follow.  

The bottom line is, how do you feel?
- Red

Ah yes, I've always slept on my back, rarely am I able to on my side. But maybe I should practice this more and get used to that position.

I will pay attention tonight as far as the head strap goes, I didn't pay enough attention to it but I will make adjustments if needed tonight.

As far as how I feel today, more or less the same as I have been the last week since starting cpap, meaning, better off than before it lol. I did notice with these new settings you suggested though I had a dryer mouth than normal even with the humidifier on, is that a normal effect to turning EPR on?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be more inclined to believe that you entered a deeper sleep stage where your mouth muscles relaxed to the point it falls open.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, well that sounds good, well not for my mouth dryness lol.

I will continue using the settings provided. Oh, I did mean to ask, as far as the difference in the reports. Were the flow limit stats better during last nights sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes! Also, keep in mind that CPAP therapy has a symbiotic relationship with your sleeping environment and bedding. Just say'in...
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Self treating: Advice for tuning after first night OSCAR data? citrus1 17 547 11 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  additional sources of data I can add onto OSCAR? joelin02 1 67 Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Help analyzing OSCAR data - CA's? alemon 40 1,653 Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Last Post: alemon
  Oscar Data gohoos1998 2 114 Yesterday, 03:05 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  New to OSCAR, need some help understanding my data sleepadventure 13 670 09-21-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data richardb123 3 222 09-20-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Oscar Data after pressure adjustment Tabster 5 189 09-19-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.