Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie to OSCAR, advice appreciated
Newbie to OSCAR, advice appreciated
I'm a 49 year old male who exercises and is in a good state of fitness.  For years (decades?) I wake up multiple times a night, sometimes I remember the feeling of choking and obstruction in the back of my throat.  This feeling also occasionally happens when I'm awake.  3-5 hours of broken sleep is about the best I can do.  I urinate multiple times as well, prostate and other causes have been ruled out.  I have had three sleep studies over the last 15 years and each time I get about 3 hours of interrupted sleep and they tell me to go home, my AHI isn't high enough.  I have recommitted to using a CPAP the last month, though I usually remove it after a couple hours after my first awakening of the night.  I'm constantly fatigued and desperately seeking answers.  I've attached a few nights from Oscar to see if they clarify anything, or if settings seem off.  Thanks for your time.
APAP 
Pressure 8-15
EPR Full
EPR 2
Ramp auto
Ramp prssure 8
Response Standard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie to OSCAR, advice appreciated
All of your nights show a lot of flow limits. Flow limits are apnea just like O and H events they are just not long enough (at least 10 seconds) to be classified as an O or H event. We use EPR to help with the flow limits but you are already set at EPR 2. You can only go up to EPR 3 which I would suggest you use. A more expensive bi-pap would allow more PS (same thing as EPR but they use the term pressure support in this model), Resmed aircurve 10 or 11 VAUTO would give you better relief from the flow limits.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Same suggestion as https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/User-staceyburke I think the EPR 3 is the right move. If these charts were mine, I would raise minimum pressure to 9.0 as well. I would be inclined to look at the times when I had OA, to see what the pressure was before the response which seems to be 9.8 or under. Also, the machine tried to prevent the events resulting in median pressure of between 9.5 and 9.7. Thus, I would be targeting the minimum pressure of 9.5-9.8. But the step to 9.0 is a good first step.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  I'll keep my eye out for a VAUTO.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar advice deepsouthmike 4 66 5 hours ago
Last Post: deepsouthmike
  [Treatment] Newbie and oscar data Trasto 5 172 9 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 105 Yesterday, 04:00 PM
Last Post: npolite
  [CPAP] Self treating: Advice for tuning after first night OSCAR data? citrus1 11 270 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  newbie post izsleepy 6 316 09-10-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: izsleepy
  Therapy recommendations appreciated Officialdee 5 208 09-09-2024, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Officialdee
  Looking for advice for my settings Vyce 3 184 09-01-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.