Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
I didn't know my machine could cause cancer. I have been using a Dreamstation for years, and before that a PR SystemOne. I had no sleep medicine or telemedicine since covid, and no one saw fit to mention that my machine was recalled until a few days ago. I am having a hard time with the new sleep medicine practice--weeks ago I asked for a sleep study because of my exhaustion, and told them I was having problems with my Dreamstation making weird ticking noises. Nothing has happened; they won't even give me another appointment right now.

What should I do? Is it likely I could get a sleep doctor to order me a resmed based on the recall, and could I get my insurance to pay for one? I have had the Dreamstation since March 2019.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2023, 09:46 AM)sleepymcsleeperson Wrote: What should I do? Is it likely I could get a sleep doctor to order me a resmed based on the recall, and could I get my insurance to pay for one? I have had the Dreamstation since March 2019.

you could wait around for insurance to figure it out. i just got my own airsense 10 on c'slist. people have them nos for sale all the time near me. i actually found 2. the second one had about 5k hours on it, and it cost me about as much as a quarter tank of gas (ca prices). 

if it's an immediate issue, i'd look on the open market. i have zero faith in insurance companies handling this matter properly. 

i have 2 of the system one machines. i'm not going to waste the time sending them back to philips for the pittance they are offering as compensation. especially if shipping is on my dime. i didn't see if they would cover that, but for the time it would take to box them up and take them to the po, it's just not worth it. i'll just put anything with a triangle on it into the recycle bin, and/or turn them in to a electronics recycling center. 

good luck. this all sucks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips eok361. I have Medicaid insurance, so not sure what that will mean in terms of their willingness to pay for a new machine. I'm hesitant to acquire used durable medical equipment on CL, even if I could find it given the very rural area I live in. Since I use auto bilevel at fairly high pressures (IPAP goes above 20), I think I would need a more expensive machine too. Meanwhile, the sleep clinic I go to doesn't seem willing to give me an appointment or address the machine issue, so I'm looking at starting over somewhere else. It all feels pretty overwhelming.
Post Reply Post Reply
i understand your trepidation buying used. especially if there aren't a whole lot available near you. 

i hope you get it figured out soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a good GP you work with an option is to talk to them and explain your situation. If your machine is more than 5 years old (or seeing as it is recalled close to it) you could play the my machine is worn out card as well. Your GP can order a sleep study or set you u p with a request for a new machine. It doesn't have to be a sleep doc. Even my dentist said he can write a script for a machine.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare will ofton replace a machine after it's 5 years old or broken and not repariable BUT they
will not just replace a machine because it's on this recall list.  Have you registered your machine with
Phillips ? If you haven't you need to do that right away, They have already replaced many of these 
affected machines and although you can't get a definit ancer from them it looks like the waiting list
for a replacement machine is now rather short but again if you contact them they will definitly not
tell you how long this will take,
Post Reply Post Reply
If you haven't registered with Phillips you definitly need to do so. They are making a lot of progress repllacing or repairing these machines.
And just because a machine is on a recall list that does not qualify you for a replacement through Medicare --- they just won't help you
at all . I had 2 machines on this recall and already have had my Dreamstation Apap replaced and now am waiting on my System One Bipap
to be replaced.  But your Dr. or medical suply won't register your machine for you this is something you have to do by yourself but it only takes 
a minuent or 2 to do online.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2023, 09:46 AM)sleepymcsleeperson Wrote: I didn't know my machine could cause cancer. I have been using a Dreamstation for years, and before that a PR SystemOne. I had no sleep medicine or telemedicine since covid, and no one saw fit to mention that my machine was recalled until a few days ago. I am having a hard time with the new sleep medicine practice--weeks ago I asked for a sleep study because of my exhaustion, and told them I was having problems with my Dreamstation making weird ticking noises. Nothing has happened; they won't even give me another appointment right now.

What should I do? Is it likely I could get a sleep doctor to order me a resmed based on the recall, and could I get my insurance to pay for one? I have had the Dreamstation since March 2019.

You can remediate the machine yourself (with a foamless airchamber-I've remediated 8 machines now for people).  I also purchase used machines and remediate those and sell them for very little money.  I remediated my Dreamstation Bibap ST and AutoBipap for myself (along with my apap) and they all work great (with the foamless airchambers).

If you would like some help please feel free to DM me.

P
Post Reply Post Reply
truthout

Philips Ignored Complaints About Breathing Machines Despite Evidence of Hazard

In a series of statements, the industry giant said it acted as soon as it learned of the “potential significance” of the problem.

But an investigation by ProPublica and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette of the 11 years between the first complaints and the recall reveals a different story — one of a company that sought to protect its marquee products as stock prices soared to the highest levels in decades. Again and again, previously undisclosed records and interviews with company insiders show, that Philips suppressed mounting evidence that its profitable breathing machines threatened the health of the people relying on them, in some cases to stay alive.

A ProPublica and Post-Gazette analysis of tens of thousands of reports shows that Philips withheld more than 3,700 complaints over 11 years from the FDA, which oversees medical devices. The company did not launch a formal investigation of the problem until 2019 — nine years after the first wave of complaints and three years after the first known tests for the company found that the foam was degrading.

The devices went to infants, the elderly, and at least 700,000 veterans. The company also promoted machines meant for some of the sickest people in the country, rolling out a new ventilator filled with foam in the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Philips Ignored Complaints About Breathing Machines Despite Evidence of Hazard | Truthout
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2023, 06:36 PM)btreger Wrote: truthout

Philips Ignored Complaints About Breathing Machines Despite Evidence of Hazard

Philips Ignored Complaints About Breathing Machines Despite Evidence of Hazard | Truthout

i read that article yesterday. it's quite disturbing, but not necessarily unique in regards to corporate malfeasance. in the log run, it appears that philips is getting off pretty easy for their behavior.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 33 3,155 5 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 66 2,991 5 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  SleepyCPAP’s Treatment Thread - Palatal Prolapse AlaxoStent SleepyCPAP 103 14,285 6 hours ago
Last Post: fudo
  Dang71 Therapy thread dang71 0 35 6 hours ago
Last Post: dang71
  Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread Jayhyouk Oh 18 839 8 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,636 Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Last Post: tobiathan
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 445 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.