Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
AboutLawsuits

Philips DreamStation CPAP Recall Delays Should Result in Strong FDA Enforcement Action, Including Potential Criminal Charges: Lawmaker

Senator Richard Blumenthal called for swift and aggressive actions, if reports are true that problems with Philips Dreamstation CPAP machines were known years before a massive recall was issued

A U.S. Senator is calling for a criminal investigation into the massive Philips DreamStation CPAP recall of 2021 after recent reports revealed that the manufacturer may have known about problems with sound abatement foam inside the machines for years before the devices were pulled from the market.

The letter came in the wake of a recent ProPublica report which detailed how Philips learned of CPAP sound abatement foam problems as early as 2010, more than a decade before a recall was issued.

Philips DreamStation CPAP Recall Delays Should Result in Strong FDA Enforcement Action, Including Potential Criminal Charges: Lawmaker - AboutLawsuits.com
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2023, 10:54 AM)btreger Wrote: AboutLawsuits

Philips DreamStation CPAP Recall Delays Should Result in Strong FDA Enforcement Action, Including Potential Criminal Charges: Lawmaker

Senator Richard Blumenthal called for swift and aggressive actions, if reports are true that problems with Philips Dreamstation CPAP machines were known years before a massive recall was issued

'bout time right? Philips' failure to resolve the issue and notify the public has been well known as per Mr. Testa's email exchanges and Steve Klink's admission. Shipping an illegal product for 5+ years = criminal behavior. Had da keep that stock price up!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...mails-show

Among the documents are several email exchanges between Bob Marsh, a technical director at Polymer Technologies—a distributor of Philips’ sound-abatement foam—and Lee Lawler, then the technical director of the polyurethane foam division at William T. Burnett, the maker of the foam. In April 2018, Marsh forwarded to Lawler a message from Vincent Testa, a mechanical engineer at Philips, who was seeking information about what would cause the material to break down.

“Recently we’ve received a few complaints from our customers that the foam is disintegrating,” Testa wrote. “The material sheds and is pulled into the ventilator air path. As you can imagine, this is not a good situation for our users.”

While sending Testa’s note to Lawler, Marsh referenced another message from 2016 in which he hadn’t identified Philips by name but mentioned that one of Polymer’s customers had received reports in the fall of 2015 of the foam breaking down after five years of use.
In an email to Fierce Medtech, Steve Klink, head of Philips’ global press office and industry relations, said the timeline of Philips’ awareness of the issue “is not new news.”
Post Reply Post Reply
PROPUBLICA

Top Philips Executive Approved Sale of Defective Breathing Machines by Distributors, Despite Tests Showing Health Risks

Despite the findings of its own scientists that showed the machines posed critical risks to patients, Roy Jakobs, now the CEO of parent company Royal Philips, told his employees that the distributors could continue to sell the devices in their inventory, according to testimony in federal court.

The revelations that unfolded during a hearing in Pittsburgh last week over the parent company’s potential liability for damages casts new light on the inner workings of a global corporation accused of risking the health of patients who used its sleep apnea machines and ventilators, in some cases to stay alive.

Philips Executive Approved Sale of Defective Breathing Machines — ProPublica
Post Reply Post Reply
HME News

PHILIPS TAKES ‘FIRST STEPS’

AMSTERDAM – Philips has re-entered the CPAP market outside of the United States, says CEO Roy Jakobs.  

The company has “gradually” started serving new sleep therapy patients in several countries, now that 99% of registered devices have been remediated globally. 

“This is starting across the globe,” said Jakobs during a recent conference call to discuss the company’s financial results for the third quarter of 2023. “So, Japan is an important market for us that we are very strong in. We also started to re-enter China. We have Australia and Latin America, but also the EU. We are working through the process with every regulator across the globe.” 

Philips takes ‘first steps’ | HME News
Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/invest...-for-years
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS
(10-29-2023, 08:37 AM)eok361 Wrote: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/invest...-for-years

[Just the news video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7gsZMDVmo

The years of deliberate foam-related misdoings by Philips continues to make headlines as a result of the perpetual negative health consequences placed upon owners of Philips' respiratory products, products recommended to them by well-incentivized non-independent DME recommenders.  

Even today, many Philips dealers are loaded up with many extra DreamStation 1s and 2s that were either undeliverable, unwanted, or unneeded by recalled device owners.  Those DMEs are actively selling those devices at 100% profit margin, giving them even more reasons to continue promoting Philips’ products.  Quite an industry, it is.

Today, I consider Philips a leader in marketing and distribution of very high-margin products, not an innovator or provider of solutions to the health industry.  Their motivation is strictly focused on next quarter's sales targets and its stock price.  They have high hopes of returning to their previous sales targets.  As a result of the vast quantities of “free product” that has flooded the markets, they can always say that they continue to maintain a large market share.

I hope the publicizing of the deliberate decisions, actions and inactions, that Philiips made forever showcases the company's true nature for newly diagnosed patients with sleep apnea.  I hope that new patients will do their research and have the courage to respond with “another brand please”, when their DME “recommends” Philips to distribute their inventory of high-margin Philips devices in the well-stocked inventory room.

Even though Philips claims to have resolved 99.9% of replacement issues, that number is extremely misleading and deceptive.  There are many former recalled device owners who have not complied with Philips' demands for the return of their previous machine, either to get their $25 or $50 cheque from Philips, or other categories.  Sadly some became deceased over the past 2 1/2 years and no longer required a replacement.  There are some that also didn't, couldn't, or couldn't easily provide Philips with a somewhat recent CPAP prescription that Philips demanded from many recalled device owners.  Philips counts all these categories as "resolved".

Five stars to Philips' marketing, public relations and legal departments for extensively analyzing every word of every sentence that is released to the press to promote its good intentions.  More often, wrongdoers that are caught don't abruptly find new integrity, they merely become much better at their publicized ways.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PHILIPS
(10-29-2023, 01:25 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: [Just the news video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7gsZMDVmo

More often, wrongdoers that are caught don't abruptly find new integrity, they merely become much better at their publicized ways.

It was nice to hear from you again. The news video is a must for everyone following this Thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PHILIPS
(10-29-2023, 01:25 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Five stars to Philips' marketing, public relations and legal departments for extensively analyzing every word of every sentence that is released to the press to promote its good intentions.  More often, wrongdoers that are caught don't abruptly find new integrity, they merely become much better at their publicized ways.

Five Stars to the US healthcare industry. They've managed to hire the best spin doctors in the world, much to their success and our chagrin. We're worn out from every possible angle at this point. My wife has autoimmune diseases, making her sleep apnea look like a minor inconvenience. We pay and pay, grind and grind, only to be frustrated again around every curve and corner, at an astronomical cost.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting (??????) developments this morning.  After years of no information from Philips whatsoever, I decided to again try the web site to see what it might tell me.  There was no answer there (except for the "your DME will contact you" message that has been there for over a year).  There was a new 800 number so I tried that.  

Imagine my surprise that a person (strong foreign accent) tells me to provide my prescription and/or my Doc's name and telephone number.  i was told that a new machine would ship as soon as they had the prescription.   

We'll see what actually happens.  I believe nothing that Philips tells me.  I registered in July 2021, one month after the recall.
Post Reply Post Reply
National Library of Medicine

Quantifying the impact of the Philips recall on patients with sleep apnea and clinicians

Abstract

Study objectives: Philips Respironics issued a voluntary recall of positive airway pressure devices used to treat obstructive sleep apnea in June 2021. We surveyed sleep medicine clinicians from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine membership to assess the impact of the recall on clinicians and patients.

Quantifying the impact of the Philips recall on patients with sleep apnea and clinicians - PubMed (nih.gov)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 33 3,142 22 minutes ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 66 2,979 42 minutes ago
Last Post: Jay51
  SleepyCPAP’s Treatment Thread - Palatal Prolapse AlaxoStent SleepyCPAP 103 14,264 1 hour ago
Last Post: fudo
  Dang71 Therapy thread dang71 0 21 1 hour ago
Last Post: dang71
  Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread Jayhyouk Oh 18 813 3 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,634 Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Last Post: tobiathan
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 445 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.