Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
Hello! I just wanted to share a ProPublica article relevant to this thread! It's a continuation of their investigation into Philips and the recall. This one is specifically about the FDA and its failure to sufficiently intervene. I'm a new member to this forum, so I can't post links yet! If anyone is interested in reading, the article is titled: "Millions of People Used Tainted Breathing Machines. The FDA Failed to Use Its Power to Protect Them."

*** Moderator Note: Link Added. ***

New users do not have the ability to post links for the first 4 post, so lending a hand.  Millions of People Used Tainted Breathing Machines 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2023, 01:56 PM)ghlani Wrote: Hello! I just wanted to share a ProPublica article relevant to this thread! 

The article was posted 4 hours ago Dont-know
Good choice for your first post, though

To post a link
Highlight the link and do a Ctrl + C
At the bottom of your post do a Ctrl + V
Post Reply Post Reply
PERSONAL (THIRD-PARTY) FOAM REPLACEMENT
(12-07-2023, 11:34 AM)aergun Wrote: ...when I opened the machine and cleaned it, I saw that the foam was extremely deteriorated.
Can you suggest me a material that I can use instead of this foam?

Earlier in the Recall, there were third party replacement chambers available for purchase with their foam inside, but one should naturally be concerned about the quality of foam used in those replacements - regardless of their claims.  When searching for those items, I found that most are discontinued and unavailable now.  Personally, I don't know anyone that did their own foam replacement with unofficial materials, though I remember viewing a few YouTube videos of people that did do that.  Rather risky, in my opinion.

Regarding your extensive cleaning, I hope you've cleaned the turbine blower too, as (if not mistaken) foam particles could get stuck in there too.  I believe the Philips blowers are able to be dismantled, whereas some other brands are sealed.

Have you considered going foamless?  Too noisy?  Concerned that your settings might be thrown off?  Have you tried that?

* You're right that a continuation on the subject is better suited either in its own thread or as a continuation of an existing foam removal thread.  You'll likely get more qualified responses that way.  Parse through those existing threads to see if there was anyone who did just what you're seeking to do, and give them a reply.  If you don't find anyone, it's likely too that most members wouldn't trust a third-party foam supplier.
Post Reply Post Reply
PROPUBLICA ARTICLE
(12-07-2023, 09:16 AM)btreger Wrote: PROPUBLICA
"Millions of People Used Tainted Breathing Machines. The FDA Failed to Use Its Power to Protect Them."

How the FDA Failed to Protect Millions of People From Tainted Breathing Machines — ProPublica

Such an excellent news article.  Thank you for posting it.

I'm struck by the numbers of device users who opened their machines to find significantly degraded (or completely eliminated) foam from their Philips Recalled devices.  It's likely that nearly all of those device users never had any indications for the breakdown of their device's foam into very small particles which they quietly unknowingly inhaled into their lungs.

Even if device owners did not use ozone cleaning systems, there are some that purchased used/refurbished devices, and others who had their devices periodically cleaned by their DME who used an ozone cleaning system.  For most device users, the amount of potentially inhaled foam particles will remain forever unknown.  

Most of us have participated in overnight sleep studies, with devices that have been cleaned hundreds of times.  I wonder what method of cleaning was used repeatedly by those sleep labs over the years.

The analysis and reporting by Philips was severely lacking in the years leading up to the Recall.  Once understanding that they had no choice but to launch a Recall, Philips likely took 6-12 months (or longer) to plan the Recall internally.  Some have suggested that the DreamStation 2 redesign was Philips' method of fixing the foam quality issues inherent in several product families.  In that case, Philips knew early in the planning stage of the DS2 that it had a significant problem in the marketplace.

Yes indeed, the FDA could/should have had better safety mechanisms in place to protect the health of individuals who had at least one significant health condition.  I now have great respect for those companies who understood the risks associated with using materials that didn't significantly exceed minimum standards.
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw their recent e-mail (for the class action lawsuit).  For not turning in my DreamStation, I'll get $55.  If I would have turned it in, I would have gotten $100.

I guess I should have succombed to their incessant e-mails requesting I turn it in.

P.S.  I am not using it - I just have it as my backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a minimum, I would defoam it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Senior

This is the last chance for Philips sleep apnoea and respiratory care machine replacement

Users of Philips-branded health machines subject to a recall have weeks to register their devices to get a repair or replacement.

Note: I have not seen this particular website before.

Philips sleep apnoea machine recall | The Senior | Senior
Post Reply Post Reply
It's hard to imagine there are still Philips customers left out there. I suspect this fiasco has resulted in one of the biggest transfers of market share any company has ever suffered. JMHO
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sent in my replacement request months and months, if not over a year ago, and I'm still waiting for the Philips dogsled to make it up to Canada.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, it's so bad that my wife wanted to purchase a Phillips electric toothbrush the other day, and I told her "no way".

So my distrust of them has extended into our dental decisions.   Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 65 2,967 56 minutes ago
Last Post: hwnboy
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,627 10 hours ago
Last Post: tobiathan
  Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread Jayhyouk Oh 17 794 Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jayhyouk Oh
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 436 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 138 6,100 10-19-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Abdulfakih
  GarlicMassage's Therapy Thread GarlicMassage 18 1,963 10-18-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: GarlicMassage
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 32 1,252 10-17-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.