Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
I have a question. I received a Dreamstation I from my DME provider. On the bottom it has a manufacturer symbol and next to it the date 2022-03-1. So I'm assuming it was manufactured at the specified date. Is this thing affected from the foam? Is there a way to check if it is affected with the help of a product number or something?
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS
(12-12-2023, 03:26 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: So my distrust of them has extended into our dental decisions.

Same here.  Unveiling Philips' true corporate behaviors has kept me away from so many other Philips products: toothbrushes, air fryers, electric razers, computer monitors, etc.  I just can't do it.

Throughout the process, I learned so much more about Philips' marketing practices.  They get the support of industry experts (doctors, medical news writers, DMEs, lab techs, etc.) through direct payments, contracting their services, and other incentives such as a substantial quantity of "free product" (demos, samples, evaluations, starter inventories, related Philips products, etc.).  

Philips most often isn't an inventor.  They typically buy out an existing product within an underserved and growing industry, and then apply their spectacular global marketing techniques to dramatically increase (and often dominate) their market share in that industry.  They did that with Respironics, Sonicare, Actifry, etc.

It's unknown at this time if Respironics will continue to be a "Sonicare", or whether it will become an "Actifry" in lost "newly paying customer" market share.  My personal opinion, also influenced by the feedback of others, is that the DS2 was a "fix" but not anything as good (external and internal design) as a ResMed AirSense/AirCurve Series 11.  Philips desperately needs a significantly redesigned DreamStation 3 in 2024.  If DS2 new paying customer purchases don't excel in 2024, Philips stockholders and investors will not be very happy.

Other serious contenders have also entered the marketplace globally, which will put price pressures on Philips (and ResMed) - however ResMed already has a great new design.  Philips survives well with high-margin products, and does not want to get into price wars.  Their overhead is too high.

My dentist office techs frequently push the purchase of Philips toothbrushes.  After asking questions, one recently told me that Philips is a great company because they gave each employee in the dental office a free top-of-the-line electric toothbrush kit.  Philips also gave their office free demo units in each room to show customers.  No commitment was required by the dental office.  

This is only my personal opinion and not meant to reflect the actual quality of any of Philips' products.
Post Reply Post Reply
MANUFACTURING DATE
(12-12-2023, 03:43 PM)Philio Wrote: On the bottom it has a manufacturer symbol and next to it the date 2022-03-1.

It's manufactured (or foam-updated) after the Recall date, so you're fine.

To be sure that it's an authentic Philips manufacturing (or refurbishing) date, visit the Philips Recall site and type in your serial number.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just checked it with the serial number, it is not affected. Thank you very much.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2023, 12:21 AM)Sheepish Wrote: I'm still waiting for the Philips dogsled to make it up to Canada.

Each country, depending on its medical and consumer protection laws, is handling the Recall in its own way.  This thread is almost entirely made up of comments related to the U.S. Recall.  Canada, Australia, England, Netherlands, etc., each have their own Recall system, which often stipulates the nature of product replacement - through Philips local-country office, through authorized DMEs, through the local government medical system, or other hybrid system of distribution.

Canada, if I'm not mistaken, is using some of the Philips U.S. third-party company support services (registration database, telephone support lines), but not using the Philips appointed third-party's method of distribution of product replacements for various reasons.  Whereas most U.S. product owners received replacement from Philips directly (with exceptions) via the Philips appointed third-party company, media reports have stated that Philips Canada isn't directly providing service or support to device owners and telling its end-users to exclusively work through their DME.  Unfortunately, that can present problems as DMEs are independent profit centers and may not be very overwhelmingly accommodating with a free product replacement, unless of course you've been a regular customer.

Therefore, non-U.S. Philips product owners will have somewhat different experiences and timeframes than what's been commonly reflected in this thread.  I'd recommend also interacting with local users for their experiences, and ApneaBoard indeed has Canadian members.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2023, 03:26 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Well, it's so bad that my wife wanted to purchase a Phillips electric toothbrush the other day, and I told her "no way".

So my distrust of them has extended into our dental decisions.   Too-funny

Don't forget about the lightbulbs! My hubby went to Lowe's and bought a 12 pack of Phillips lightbulbs. He said he got a good deal.... I told him to return them. Sad
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My personal boycott runs to Philips hearing aids; anything Philips is gone from future purchase lists.  Confession.  Philips bulbs will get used. They were purchased before I learned about the Philips-Respironics disaster.  I've had 2 of their machines in the past. Both were bricks; both were prescribed by the sleep-doc-quack.

DaveL
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
CBS NEWS

Philips CPAP users can now file for a piece of the proposed $479 million settlement. Here's how to apply:

People who have bought, leased, or rented certain Philips Respironics sleep apnea machines can now file a claim for restitution.

Claims for financial losses related to the purchase, lease, or rent of the recalled devices can now be lodged, with eligible users entitled to:

a Device Payment Award for each recalled device purchased, leased, or rented;

a Device Return Award of $100 for each recalled device returned by Aug. 9, 2024; or

a Device Replacement Award for money spent to buy a comparable machine on or after June 14, 2021, and before Sept. 7, 2023, to replace a recalled device.

Philips CPAP users can now file for piece of proposed $479 million settlement. Here's how to apply. - CBS News
Post Reply Post Reply
PROPUBLICA

“Unacceptable”: Senators Call on GAO to Probe FDA’s Oversight of Medical Devices, Citing Series on Philips CPAP Recall

Two prominent U.S. senators are calling for a government investigation into the Food and Drug Administration’s oversight of medical devices following revelations that the agency failed to protect the public from defective breathing machines capable of sending particles and fumes into the masks of patients.

The news organizations found that the FDA had received hundreds of complaints about contamination inside Philips’ popular continuous positive airway pressure, or CPAP, machines and ventilators long before the June 2021 recall but took no action to alert doctors or patients. The complaints included at least 30 that described the degradation of an industrial foam inside the machines that was found to break down and release potentially hazardous material.

“It now appears that FDA missed several opportunities to mitigate the harm done to the millions of patients who have used these recalled medical devices,” the senators wrote. “It is not clear whether or not FDA took action to inform hospitals, health care providers, and patients about the potential risks.”

The news organizations also found that Philips, with two sprawling factories outside Pittsburgh, held back thousands of additional foam complaints from the government, some dating back to 2010.

Senators Ask GAO to Probe FDA Medical Device Oversight — ProPublica
Post Reply Post Reply
"People who have bought, leased, or rented certain Philips Respironics sleep apnea machines can now file a claim for restitution.
Claims for financial losses related to the purchase, lease, or rent of the recalled devices can now be lodged, with eligible users entitled to:"

I'm wondering if this wording bolded above exempts people that had their equipment bought/purchased by Medicare/insurance. My machine was totally paid for by Medicare and insurance. I incurred no money out of pocket.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 65 2,968 1 hour ago
Last Post: hwnboy
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,627 10 hours ago
Last Post: tobiathan
  Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread Jayhyouk Oh 17 795 Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jayhyouk Oh
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 436 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 138 6,100 10-19-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Abdulfakih
  GarlicMassage's Therapy Thread GarlicMassage 18 1,963 10-18-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: GarlicMassage
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 32 1,252 10-17-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.