Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can use ASV machine as Bipap S/T machine?
RE: Can use ASV machine as Bipap S/T machine?
On the ResMed ASV, that's correct on PS, it will be forced to be a spread of 5.

Coming from using the ResMed ASV, I'm feeling it was a unique delivery that's driven by the Central Apnea focused treatment algorithm. ST doesn't have that focus. It's just EPAP and IPAP, pressure down pressure up. Yes T for timing, but that's the only thing ST had is programming the time controls.

I had 2 years on ASV, and I recently had a new sleep study with ST in the Titration mix, and for me it's very different than ASV. The ASV can deliver hard but ST is very different in delivery to me.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2024, 05:41 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: On the ResMed ASV, that's correct on PS, it will be forced to be a spread of 5.

Coming from using the ResMed ASV, I'm feeling it was a unique delivery that's driven by the Central Apnea focused treatment algorithm. ST doesn't have that focus. It's just EPAP and IPAP, pressure down pressure up. Yes T for timing, but that's the only thing ST had is programming the time controls.

I had 2 years on ASV, and I recently had a new sleep study with ST in the Titration mix, and for me it's very different than ASV. The ASV can deliver hard but ST is very different in delivery to me.

I just had my ASV study last night using the lab's Philips OmniLab Advanced +.

The technician set it up without any PS range restrictions, and as a result, while I was awake, it was pounding me on every inhale with up to 23 cm, then dropping to ~8 cm very abruptly with each exhale.

I get that he wanted the algorithm to be fully free to do it's job in reducing my CSA events, but IMHO that has to be balanced against not beating up the patient to the point where the patient cannot even get to sleep.

I know that ASV is supposed to adapt to your breathing while awake, but I experienced no subjective evidence of that. It was behaving more like my BIPAP S/T, but with even higher IPAP pressures, and to add insult to injury I couldn't access the Ramp Time feature to at least delay the pulverizing treatment until after I was asleep.

I would still like to try out an ASV more...I think preferably an Aircurve 10 ASV, and try to find settings that not only treat my CSA events but ALSO allow me to actually fall asleep. ?
Post Reply Post Reply
With the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, you'll have the following available:

Mode CPAP static pressure
ASV with EPAP and PS range
ASV Auto adds EPAP range to PS range

Assuming ASV Auto is used, you'll get EPAP Min and Max, PS Min and Max, which also makes IPAP a range that equals EPAP plus PS.

I found Ramp hindered therapy, and would get better results with edits to the EPAP and/or PS.

The only possible negative for some, timing controls are automatic only, no manual edits.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2024, 10:46 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: With the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, you'll have the following available:

Mode CPAP static pressure
ASV with EPAP and PS range
ASV Auto adds EPAP range to PS range

Assuming ASV Auto is used, you'll get EPAP Min and Max, PS Min and Max, which also makes IPAP a range that equals EPAP plus PS.

I found Ramp hindered therapy, and would get better results with edits to the EPAP and/or PS.

The only possible negative for some, timing controls are automatic only, no manual edits.
I asked the technician if he could at least lengthen the rise time ( if not the ramp time), and he said that he didn't have that exact option on the Philips OmniLab, but he said something about Flex and it did seem to increase the rise time.

Regarding Ramp time, I couldn't get through to him that in order to do a SLEEP test, FIRST you have to achieve a SLEEPING patient... you can't be such a stickler to your super-duper full range full time algorithm that you allow it to keep the patient from ever achieving sleep. By the middle of the night I wanted him to just gently knock me unconscious with a hammer... anything to achieve sleep so that the doctor could have some data to work with.

Can you adjust Rise and/or Ramp times with the Aircurve 10 ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp, you can adjust the duration and single pressure. Rise time is within the timing "folder" so no you can't edit that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2024, 12:23 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Rise time is within the timing "folder" so no you can't edit that.

Timing folder...who would have access to that folder?...my doctor or my DME supplier?
Post Reply Post Reply
Neither.

The word folder as used by myself here is meaning everything involving timing on the ResMed is algorithm configured only. No person can set these.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2024, 05:32 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Neither.

The word folder as used by myself here is meaning everything involving timing on the ResMed is algorithm configured only. No person can set these.

Well, I suppose that if I just can't get to sleep with the Aircurve ASV, I can always just sell it and buy a Bipap S/T machine...or try to
 find a Dreamstation ASV and try that out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] overnight cover: machine, hose and mask? seepapnyc 9 249 09-15-2024, 01:25 PM
Last Post: seepapnyc
  help with sleep study deciding on a new machine georgesadam 8 187 09-14-2024, 04:56 AM
Last Post: williamwu1107
Gross Can I not clean my machine? liuzilong 9 394 09-07-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  PRISMA CR ASV machine Arik 1 136 09-04-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Using an older Remstar machine Robbos 2 192 09-01-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: big_dave
  [CPAP] (OSCAR) Results of first night with CPAP machine dnserror 1 183 08-29-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 295 276,866 08-29-2024, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Kamryn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.