Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Overwhelming exhale resistance - is this normal ?
Overwhelming exhale resistance - is this normal ?
First time testing masks at mask fitting, getting machine etc. ... and it did not go well. Jumping to issue is that after trying over nose mask, full mask cradle and over nose and mouth full mask (no time, all rushed), i simply couldn't exhale against even 4 - 5 pressure. I was prepared for struggle, but i can not for my life understand how, at sleep, at working pressure, my body could possibly expel any air, how you ever can get used to this level of resistance. With the smaller nose mask it just squeezed my nose to the point i could hardly expel air with mask only, without pressure. With the cradle, the tiny holes where less than half the area of my nostrils (have a huge nose) and even at 4 - 5 pressure, felt completely impossible to get any air out via the nose.

Well, left very deflated, and very very confused.

If anyone can help me understand how to differentiate between "normal" struggle due to not adapted, and any more show stopping issues here ? Is it normal at 4 - 5 pressure, with full mask, to feel suffocating after a second trying to speak ? What is going on ? How would you go forward. Due to the rushed and chaotic fitting, i just got thrown the full mask, setting auto 5-15, press on and come back in two month. No follow ut, answering questions nothing (that's supposedly how it works here) but I am just so confused and frankly shocked, if it is normal with feeling like trying to push against a wall breathing out. How can this possibly work at sleep, with working pressure, how do the body expel any air ? I must/hope i have gravely misunderstood something, so anyone please try to explain. Didn't try nose pillow mask. Is there any known differences in type of masks, especially nose, more or less resistance breathing out ?

Maybe i'm naive but i could never imagine that level of resistance, and i'm confused if normal, or not, and no idea how to move forward.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Overwhelming exhale resistance - is this normal ?
The first thing is we need data to really help. You need to download OSCAR from the top of the site. It is totally free along with everything else here. You will need a SD card in your machine while you sleep. 

Your Cpap goes from 5 to your max and you can’t tell what pressure you exhale was. 4 or 5 is very low and I doughr it was that low when you tried. Just to let you know if you took a straw and put it into a cup of water, 4 centimeters (not inches) and bow out the straw - that is how much 4 cc of pressure is. So again you were not exhaling at 4 or 5 cc. 

Go to the internet - YouTube and watch some videos on Cpap. Try to find the machine you have and watch several you will have a much better idea of what your therapy is.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey…..Even at a very basic level of starting out, I completely get what you saying. I started less than a month ago. During the first hour, I told my wife “I think this thing is trying to kill me. !!!!!” I had a pretty difficult time feeling like I could exhale as well. Here’s what I will say… You have to kind of get out of your head in the initial phases. It really helped me to put the mask on and try to concentrate on breathing deeply and evenly, while distracting myself with a movie. It seem like after a short while, I kinda “forgot “about it. I know that seems simplistic, but I initially thought that there was no wayCPAP was going to work for me. (I’m a closet claustrophobic!).

As I’m sure you’ve already seen on here 100 times, try to stick with it. Your biggest advocate is yourself… Only you know what is gonna work!

I got a 100 score on MyAir last night but still feel like i hate it all!

X
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes i get the oscar, data everything, of course, but so confused, i looked at the display as the nurse increased from 4 and i think upwards to about 10, but maybe, as you indicate, i have missed something. I guess the breeding in and out compared to without CPAP is, and feel, very different. So even with any of the mask types, even with poor fit etc. at an in pressure of 4 - 5 if experiencing almost impossible to exhale, something is wrong ?. Well, thanks for the input, and as soon as i get going, i will of course follow the protocol with Oscar, diagrams etc. like the other starting up threads.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Seems you are using a full maks, did you also feel, at very low pressure, like someone was shoveling in a ton of air trying to speak ? Wehn movie watching, at what pressure was this "training" conducted ? Without CPAP your lungs empty as you exhale, but i guess due to the actual positive pressure/whole idea with CPAP, your body don't need to exhale as much ? Well, i´m just scared of doing something completely wrong, thinking it's just adjustment, but i guess you just have to try out while awake as you say. Sometimes at this forum (which i get of course) most just get their system and readily jump to the oscar, charts etc. but i have so many other issues im trying to navigate, so i guess i will ask "stupid" questions a bit more.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first time you tried it? No wonder it felt strange. We are here to help configure the machine to optimal, or as close to optimal, settings for you. 

To do so we need data. As Stacey said, download OSCAR and format the charts to post. The links in my signature will help with both.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started almost a year ago. Nothing is wrong. What you're feeling is normal, I felt the same way. When I bumped my pressure up from 4 I felt it again. You get used to it. 

On my machine with the pressure support turned up too high it's still hard to exhale because it thinks I'm done exhaling before I actually am. In other words, when I exhale it reduces pressure but returns to the minimum set pressure too quick for me.

Give it more time. Try what Xraymason said with watching a movie to distract yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for links to Oscar, shart format etc. good to revisit when i get to that (very soon i hope).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the encouragement! I thought being a diver (in very murky, ise cold water in the nordics) many years ago would make me somewhat less prone to maks and claustrofia issues, but i guess CPAPing is a completely new game ;-) I think i just expected some more practical support from the sleep guys, but i guess unfortunately, the rushed, default settings, out of the door is not that uncommon. I get three main things from all replies.

1. Feeling mask and pressure trying to suffocate you - normal
2. CPAPing anything, Oscar, sharts - then able to help (make sense)
3. Start using mask awake, getting used to etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to keep in mind is that whatever machine you have likely offers what we call EPR, which is expiratory pressure relief.  This means that you can set the machine to make it easier to exhale against the air blowing into your nose.  I doubt the nurse used this feature.  Using it will help. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Mouth Farts and Exhale Block KsKisser 2 273 09-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeking Advice on BiPAP AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings for Upper Airway Resistance Syndro chacha897d 1 296 09-07-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Caked Residue In CPAP Water Reservoir, Is It Normal? Kamryn 3 246 08-30-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Is it normal for Resmed 10 blowing noise to be very noticable at high pressure >13 snortle 4 318 08-29-2024, 09:49 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Amazed by first night results - is this normal? killakamp 4 397 08-12-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  AHI is much higher than normal, not sure what's going on. UKFan643 1 190 08-06-2024, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question Air mini exhale is aggressive Alan Speed 3 324 08-05-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Alan Speed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.