Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Paula's - Therapy Thread
Paula's - Therapy Thread
If I can get this result, or close to it, consistently I will be happy. I'm thinking about trying to get an EERS effect by partially blocking the exhaust vents on my P10. It's mostly a mental exercise as PAP therapy doesn't have any noticeable effect on how I feel.

Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I think this is as good as it's going to get.
You have a considerable amount of flow limitation. Have you trialed bilevel or enabled EPR on your CPAP before?
Post Reply Post Reply
The question for you is, is this as good as it gets? Are you happy with the therapy? Feeling better overall? Do you think this is as good as it gets?

We can always tweak things. Plenty of nerd knobs and geek gadgets to fiddle with on the machines and masks. Only you can answer if the juice is worth the squeezing…
Post Reply Post Reply
The flow limits are about the same with or without EPR enabled. They go down improve slightly, but AHI goes up.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this sounds insane, but I don't feel any benefit from PAP therapy. I didn't have apnea symptoms before; I was referred for a sleep study for symptoms that resolved when the dose of my thyroid medication was increased. I do have apnea...it just doesn't cause any symptoms that I notice. In fact, I stopped therapy for several years and have just re-started as an act of faith that my health will benefit from not stopping breathing 40-ish times an hour. 

Still, I'd be interested to hear what suggestions you might have. I've recently turned off EPR, which improves my AHI but has a negative effect on my flow limits.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you ever investigated what higher pressure will do for you? What's a night at 9 cmH20 or 10cmH20 look like for you? There's a common misconception that only EPR / bilevel handles flow limits but the primary solution is higher pressure ...
Post Reply Post Reply
At a higher constant pressure? I'm not sure. Even turning it up to 8.4 resulted in the feeling that I was choking on air, which is why I stopped therapy before (unsympathetic sleep doctor). I did have it set on APAP with a minimum pressure of 7 and a max of 10. It rode the upper limit of that all night and my flow limits were .17-.23. With the max set at 9, .11-.30, .11-.21, .14-.21, .15-.25, .16-.27, .15-.23 and so on. But my centrals were consistently higher on APAP than CPAP and an AHIs of over 4 were common. And there were occasional AHIs over 5, up to 8-something.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm happy with anything under 1, but .61 has me very pleased. 

This was my third night with my mask exhaust partially blocked. I haven't found it to be excessively stuffy. My flow limits, which weren't good to begin with, have gone up, however. If I have to choose between lower AHI or lower flow limits, which way do I go?

I'm going to continue with the blocked exhaust for a week and then re-evaluate.

Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2023, 11:27 AM)paulag1955 Wrote: I'm happy with anything under 1, but .61 has me very pleased. 

This was my third night with my mask exhaust partially blocked. I haven't found it to be excessively stuffy. My flow limits, which weren't good to begin with, have gone up, however. If I have to choose between lower AHI or lower flow limits, which way do I go?

I'm going to continue with the blocked exhaust for a week and then re-evaluate.

The most important measurement is how do you feel when you wake up? Everything else is just details ...

There will be nights where my machine registers obstructive events but I have no dip in sp02 so I just let it ride because I feel great the next morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel the same whether my AHI is .6 or 8.5. Other than snoring, I never had any symptoms that could be attributed to SA, even though my initial AHI was over 40. I was referred for a sleep study for symptoms that were resolved by increasing the dose on my thyroid medication. So I can only go by the numbers.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 15 518 8 hours ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 144 6,378 Yesterday, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Abdulfakih
  Dang71 Therapy thread dang71 6 164 Yesterday, 10:35 AM
Last Post: dang71
  app1nag - Therapy Assistance Thread app1nag 106 17,817 Yesterday, 10:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 71 3,180 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: hwnboy
  [CPAP] xirokx - Therapy Thread xirokx 119 3,900 10-24-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 46 2,398 10-24-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: wjg1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.