Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help with treatment review
RE: Please help with treatment review
(01-06-2022, 11:53 AM)DaveL Wrote: Your comment made me realize....

I keep falling asleep in front of the tv.  No cpap anywhere near.

My grandfather has severe apnea and 5-10 years ago realized that he was having symptoms just because he wasn't using PAP during his naps. 1 hr nap or whatever it was of apnea was enough to disrupt his quality of life. 

If you are inconsistently using PAP the first trial would be to use it every time you sleep or nap to see if that causes any changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, what does falling asleep watching tv suggest to you (besides the obvious; like in terms of pap and overall health)?

btw, maybe age is a bigger factor than we (I) thought, potentially explaining why we feel our sleep isn't as restorative as we'd like?

I was shocked that according to my new fitbit, my awake time of 17% is in the normal range for men my age: typical range 15-31%. I thought my fragmented sleep meant I am awake more than normal and that's my big problem.

otoh, my deep sleep is low normal and rem sleep well under the typical range so maybe that's more problematic than frequent awakening (although maybe frequent awakening limits deep and rem sleep?)?

could our expectations be unreasonable after a certain age? if this is as good as it gets, maybe we are (I am) expending too much time and effort trying to do better?
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
sheepless I think you're right.

Fitbit makes good gear.

Maybe I should be happy I'm still here. Time to change my perspective.

Thanks so much

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Video trial
Thanks sheepless!

Finally got a camera and set it up.

that wasn't easy but it's done.

Results--

58 videos during the night.

I was worried about restless leg syndrome.  Hah.

Well--15% were restless leg.  I thought that would be a kick. Nope--it's a walk. short walk.  Maybe 3 or 4 paces...

85% were arms moving everywhere.  Pulling up the covers. Maybe 10 times.  Rest--reaching up to my mask  Checking for airflow. From the exhaust ports.

Feeling:
--not rested at all.
--brain fade for sure.

Feeling about the test:  wow Lots of emotions. Fear amongst others.

Dave
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Geer1
Great suggestion.

Not planned naps. Just falling asleep in front of the tv. But I appreciate the suggestion.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
video shows hand to mask/mask adjustment at this point
I don't just have restless leg syndrome!  My arm movements are colossal.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
that could certainly explain your malaise.

the L in plm is for 'limb' which includes arms. the question in my mind is whether your arm movements are involuntary & periodic or voluntary & sporadic.

before pap I thrashed pretty violently, presumably in the struggle to breathe. some of that was plm but some was not (the flailing arms including repeatedly striking the mattress & my chest and head & body rolling stopped after pap). your apnea is pretty well controlled so one wonders - assuming if yours is more random - what you're thrashing against.

if not plm, stress comes to mind but it could be any number of things.

what do you think - periodic or random?

edit: forgot to mention a rem sleep disorder in which we may physically respond to dreams.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
sleepless I apologize for not buying a video camera sooner.

Two nights ago---arm movements were done with purpose.  Pulling the covers up. Or reaching up to the mask to make sure that the machine was on and blowing.

arm movements weren't twitches or moves like my dog makes when she is dreaming.

Last night I chosen different bedding. I slept much better.

Unfortunately the videos were not the same quality.  I had moved the camera and the new location was poorly chosen.

Feeling--better.  thinking more clearly today.

However index was 3.5! And that was much much worse than average.  I'll give it time.

Falling asleep today---sitting up.  Watching tv....off and on.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's time to change the model of mask I use.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
sounds like your sleep environment could be more comfortable. good you have video evidence to go on. 

nothing wrong with 3.5 ahi. 

I'm probably not a good example inasmuch as I don't think I'm particularly well rested, but I don't think I'm alone in getting sleepy riding in a car, watching a movie, reading, working on the computer... sometimes I have to doze a bit or get up and and get active to overcome it. maybe it's not all that unusual to get sleepy in front of the television. 

try shoveling some snow instead!  Smile

seriously though, I jogged 1.6 miles at a slow fat old guy pace with the dog last evening. it wasn't terribly strenuous but I slept about 2 hours longer than usual!

yesterday you mentioned feeling emotional, even fearful. before that I think it was a racing mind. those things can't be conducive to good sleep. there are lots of methods people use to relax; might be worth looking into. idk anything about it but cognitive behavioral therapy is often mentioned and I believe it can be done with or without professional guidance. 

I'm thinking I should practice what I preach and get a camera for myself.  I don't want to take Dave's thread off-topic so if anyone cares to recommend one, I'd be grateful if you'd PM me.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] APAP Settings Review falcon940 2 187 10-23-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: falcon940
  ac123 Treatment Thoughts/Help ac123 25 1,552 10-23-2024, 12:47 PM
Last Post: ac123
  SleepyCPAP’s Treatment Thread - Palatal Prolapse AlaxoStent SleepyCPAP 103 14,500 10-22-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: fudo
  Review My Oscar Data; Any Recommendations? Websurfer49 1 114 10-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Help With CPAP Treatment (Oscar Help) Bosox6177 2 150 10-19-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bosox6177
Question Central Apnea - Treatment Emergent vs Altitude ausername 4 245 10-17-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] New issues after 4 years of treatment Compton2233 4 252 10-17-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Compton2233

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.