Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates
Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates
I have been a cpap user for about 13 years and still not getting good rest at night. I have only had 3 good nights sleep since getting on CPAP therapy and never rested in the morning.

I just do not understand what is going on. I have been looking at my data and not sure what may be my issue but something is not working for me with the therapy. I feel like my breathing during the day is labored breathing in and after breathing in my exhales are short bursts about 1/2 as long as inhalation. Basically breathing is labored. I have wondered if CPAP has created another issue but who knows. I am 60yrs old and a little stuck here and interested if anyone has any thoughts on my situation.

I have reduced my pressures to 5-11 from 5-20 with no improvements in sleep quality. I did this 6 months- maybe a year ago and my overall AHI scores stayed the same but sill do not feel like sleep quality is any different. I can sleep for 8 hrs or 12 hours a night and feel no different.

I have attached my oscar data for any who can interpret any areas of concern. I have been to sleep doctors who look at my chart for 2 min and say my therapy is working but i have to say I think were overlooking how i feel. 

I would greatly appreciate any guidance the forum may offer, as I just need to see some improvement.......
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates
Hi flyingg103!  -  Welcome
Your thread belongs in the Main Forum since it deals with your therapy.  I am moving it from the Software Forum to the Main Forum for this reason.  

Also, I see you mentioned posting OSCAR images which are not present.  Please read the links in my signature on how to post images.  Also, please use the F12 key for Windows and Linux operating systems and Fn+F12 on a Mac to capture the screenshot in OSCAR.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like I am unable to attach log data so posting screen shots of last nights sleep for review and hopefully thoughts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You should set minimum pressure at 7.0 and maximum pressure 10.0, EPR 3. That will keep EPR constant and limit pressure swings. With a minimum of 5.0, your EPR is only 1 due to the 4.0 cm low pressure limit of the CPAP. This probably won't change your AHI which is very very low. I don't see any issue with your respiration rate, volume or timing, and your AHI is some of the best I've seen. So in my opinion, your CPAP therapy may be a convenient scapegoat for poor sleep, but it does not seem to be the actual cause. This is pretty common among people using CPAP to treat sleep breathing disorders, but the fact is, you no longer have sleep disordered breathing. Many other health issues can cause the symptoms that are affecting you, and it's unfortunately going to be hard work to identify what it is. I can only speculate and list some of the possibilities. If you want to try something with the CPAP therapy to see if it helps, then set your machine to minimum 9.0, maximum 9.0 with EPR 3. This will provide fixed pressure at 9.0/6.0 (inhale/exhale) and may take away the disruption of changing pressure. Other than that, you're going to have to broaden your search.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poor sleep quality slabsi 9 316 09-19-2024, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 276 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
  Suggestions to improve AHI and sleep quality Nykkuno 1 217 07-24-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Sleep quality excellent when I'm not in my own bed. High CAs? matt2 2 245 07-13-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] Help optimizing my AHI and sleep quality dahaupt 12 710 07-11-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Inconsistent Sleep Quality with BiPAP Titration - Seeking Advice Gettingbetter33 3 260 06-22-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Sleep position affecting sleep test AHI/OSA classification Fox66 7 407 06-21-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Fox66

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.