Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recently started CPAP therapy (AHI 56.9)
Recently started CPAP therapy (AHI 56.9)
Hello,

I'm 34 (M), recently started CPAP therapy for severe sleep apnea (AHI 56.9). 

Before starting therapy, my galaxy watch showed my blood oxygen levels dropping to 70% while I slept. After two days of using the CPAP, the lowest recorded value is 85%.

I've noticed a significant improvement in my fatigue and daytime sleepiness, although they haven't completely gone away.

I'm attaching my sleep study report along with OSCAR screenshots. 
I'd really appreciate it if you could help me understand my sleep study and OSCAR report and suggest any changes in cpap settings. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recently started CPAP therapy (AHI 56.9)
My sleep study report

Post Reply Post Reply
Your CAs are treatment-emerging and will diminish with time. Hence, it would be best to keep your EPR=3 setting full-time. 
I suggest tuning RAMP off because you had no treatment during its period, and some Hs emerged because of it. 
It would be best to increase your minimum pressure significantly. Let's start with 9 cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard.  Not to scare you, but your heart rate and spo2 values during your sleep study are very concerning.  Heart rate at or near 200 at times.  Spo2 down to 70's and even 60's with more than enough time on this particular sleep study to qualify for supplemental oxygen.  

Please continue to monitor your heart rate and SPO2 levels in therapy.  I noticed on your sleep study you had 0% deep sleep.  I had 0% deep sleep also.  Hopefully it will increase.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2024, 11:21 AM)Jay51 Wrote: Welcome to ApneaBoard.  Not to scare you, but your heart rate and spo2 values during your sleep study are very concerning.  Heart rate at or near 200 at times.  Spo2 down to 70's and even 60's with more than enough time on this particular sleep study to qualify for supplemental oxygen.  

Please continue to monitor your heart rate and SPO2 levels in therapy.  I noticed on your sleep study you had 0% deep sleep.  I had 0% deep sleep also.  Hopefully it will increase.

Thank you! I was quite surprised by the heart rate readings in the sleep study, especially since my galaxy watch data showed a much lower range (51-90 bpm) that day. It's never gone above 100 bpm during sleep so far. I'll continue monitoring both my heart rate and SpO2 levels.

You're right about the deep sleep – I barely slept during the sleep study! I woke up almost every hour because the mattress was so uncomfortable.  At home, I usually get 40-70 minutes of deep sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2024, 09:53 AM)G. Szabo Wrote: Your CAs are treatment-emerging and will diminish with time. Hence, it would be best to keep your EPR=3 setting full-time. 
I suggest tuning RAMP off because you had no treatment during its period, and some Hs emerged because of it. 
It would be best to increase your minimum pressure significantly. Let's start with 9 cm.

Thank you! I have updated the settings.

Mode: AutoSet
Max pressure: 20
Min pressure: 9
Response: standard 
Ramp Time: Off
EPR: On
EPR type: Full Time
EPR level: 3
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2024, 09:53 AM)G. Szabo Wrote: Your CAs are treatment-emerging and will diminish with time. Hence, it would be best to keep your EPR=3 setting full-time. 

Hello, 
After adjusting the suggested settings, my AHI has gone down by 1 point and SPO2 min value recorded was 90% and Heart rate was between 54 - 97 bpm with avg 67 bpm as per watch.  

SleepHQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Indeed, it is better. But your flow limit is still high. Let's increase your minimum pressure to 12 cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've attached the screenshots from the last two nights with the new settings. My AHI is below 1 now  Smile . However, the pressure feels a bit high and its making me a little uncomfortable.  

SleepHQ: Day 4 and Day 5

Post Reply Post Reply
Considering your flow limits, your minimum pressure is not overly high. However, you can reduce it at the expense of your AHI and flow limit if it is more comfortable for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just started 6 days ago! benjaminjaquith 20 724 10-06-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: benjaminjaquith
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 109 09-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  [Pressure] Recently diagnosed with UARS and prescribed Bilevel. Need help with settings. cloudwalker 7 584 09-29-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jlcdsc
  Started noticing dry mouth in the morning BionicSpud 13 376 09-29-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: eok361
  [Equipment] new to cpap therapy,. not having any success yet. sjlulz 3 178 09-15-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Help me understand Oscar report and optimize CPAP therapy Oliverwoods 1 215 09-07-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Diagnosis] Helping Father in Law Get Started on xPAP R and R 30 1,344 08-28-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.