Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] NEW USER! OSCAR HELP!
NEW USER! OSCAR HELP!
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the Apnea Board and could use some help analyzing my OSCAR data. I am also new to CPAP therapy and am slowly taking to it, but it can be very overwhelming trying to figure out the proper settings. I have been using the AirSense 11 for the past 16 night and am not feeling the benefit of it yet even though I am having a low AHI.

I was hoping someone could take a look at my OSCAR data for the last four nights (finally got a SD memory card so this is my first Oscar data). 

I am still not feeling well rested, but do feel like I am sleeping better. Another issue I am dealing with is bad congestion and sinus headaches. I am using the Airfit 10 mask and like how it feels, but it is causing sinus issues for me. I finally got a hose cover and was able to turn up the humidity to 5 now (i got rainout before) without rainout in the hose. That has helped. Also, I tried humidity 6 and got rainout with temp at 80 degrees. I am using Xclear to keep my nasal passages moist and that has also helped. Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you everyone! I am learning and am determined to make the AirFit mask that I currently have work because it is comfortable and fits my lifestyle. Suggestion that help me move forward with the same equipment is preferred. I am excited to hear suggestions on how I can optimize my settings based on my data.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NEW USER! OSCAR HELP!
Your AHI and flow limits are excellent. So, you do not need to really touch the settings.   
However, you might try the suggestion below to see if you feel better.  

Mode: APAP
minimum/maximum pressure =7/12 cm
EPR=3
Ramp off   

I had similar humidity issues. The higher the humidity, the less congestion I have. So, I have been running it with a 30C hose temperature and maximum humidity setting. Sure, I have a rainout, but I do not care.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your time, help and suggestion. It’s  really appreciated. I will give those settings a try tonight.

Did you see any issues with my leakage rate? And would mouth taping help with that?

I will post my Oscar chart from tonight tomorrow evening! 

Again, thank you for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your time, help and suggestion. It’s  really appreciated. I will give those settings a try tonight. 

Did you see any issues with my leakage rate? And would mouth taping help with that?

I will post my Oscar chart from tonight tomorrow evening! 

Again, thank you for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
The high EPR will help with the leaks. Nevertheless, it needs to be addressed.
Mouth-taping is always a good idea; it has many benefits. You will see whether you have mouth leaks or mask issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning! And thank you for the response and help!

I have attached my Oscar data from last night, 10/07/24, with the suggested recommendations. I also mouth taped, which felt weird (it stayed on all night other than at 1 AM when I got up to use the restroom and replaced it with a new piece. My nose was also very clogged at this time so I used Xclear and it helped to clear things up for the rest of the night).

Positive: I raised the humidity level to 6 and did not have a rainout event last night! And my sinuses do feel a little better today, but still have clogged ears. 

I do feel more tired today than usual, but I also know it is a combination of my body adjusting and the mental aspect of it.

Hoping you can take a look at my data from last night and let me know your thoughts. It seems I still have a lot of leakage even though I mouth taped last night. Mask issue? I am using the large size for the P10 nasal pillows. 

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
There is some nasal congestion between 23:30 and 23:45. I suggest using the Neti pot sinus rising solution. You can get the low-cost plastic bottle for about $6. And order the salt in bulk (table salt cannot be used!). I had success with a concentration two times higher than the standard concentration. I also use Hyaluronic acid (Hyalogic) Nasal spray.

To reduce your pressure swings, you should increase the minimum pressure slightly to 7.6-8.0 cm. However, once the nasal congestion has resolved, you can return to 7 cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the quick response and continued help! 

I will give the nasal rinse a try tonight. I already have the supplies and have used it before, but it sometimes feels like water gets into my ear canals and takes days to clear up and can cause weird hearing issues. I will watch some videos tonight to ensure I am using it correctly. 

Do you normally do it about an hour before you go to bed? And use Hyaluronic acid (Hyalogic) Nasal spray after the saline rinse?

Also, did you see if the mouth tape helped me at all? Should I continue to use it?

I will also raise my minimum pressure as well!

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak is better and within the acceptable limit. However, you should work on your mask's setting to further improve it or switch masks.
Taping is a good idea irrespective of the leaks because it reduces the chances of OAs.
I use the nasal rise first, then the spay just before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really appreciate your responses and your insight! It's extremely helpful!

I ordered the Hyalogic on Amazon and it doesn't arrive until tomorrow morning. I will sinus rinse tonight and continue to use XClear for the time being.

I will post my Oscar data in the morning! 

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another low (really low) AHI but tired - first time OSCAR user xtracheese 4 253 09-25-2024, 10:41 PM
Last Post: xtracheese
  New CPAP user, looking for help understanding OSCAR Ksquared716 3 263 09-19-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Interpreting OSCAR data (relatively new CPAP user) bolivar98 14 841 09-02-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  New CPAP/APAP user looking for advice and OSCAR data interpretation sanchez 4 386 07-29-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  New CPAP user first OSCAR data results Jhlopez 1 227 07-25-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 4 578 07-25-2024, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Pogo007
  new user 2weeks in oscar data bg1987 11 616 06-29-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: bg1987

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.