Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP power post hurricane
CPAP power post hurricane
To start, I am not an electrician, though one of my sons is an ME. I wanted to share what I experienced this morning with 3 dead CPAP machines post hurricane. Hopefully this may be of use to you…

As the hurricane passed through Atlanta yesterday and today, we did not use our CPAP machines fearing we would lose power and be rudely awoken. When I looked at them this morning, the power bricks had no lights. Basically dead. No power coming out of the connector to the CPAP machine at all. Three machines, all non-functional.

Being the realist I am and knowing nothing about electrical things, I called my ME son. He laughed at me (in a good way) and said unplug everything completely, take the bricks to an actual outlet not an extension like we use, and plug them in. I did so and all of the bricks lit up and are working fine now. No damage was suffered that I can find.

He started talking about how power supplies sometimes need to be reset after electrical storms (we had a lot of lightning but did not lose power, though it did flicker a few times). Simply unplugging it and letting it rest a while is enough to get it working. He went into details about how they work but I lost interest and did not really pay attention. I am sure some of you folks know and understand it.

I asked him why he had me take the power supplies to another outlet instead of just unplugging and replugging it as it was setup. He said he just wanted to see if I would do it and that the time between unplugging and replugging elsewhere would likely be enough. Karma is a cruel mistress.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP power post hurricane
One other little tidbit. Never plug in a surge suppressor to another surge suppressor. In the event of a power interruption, this causes voltage to oscillate between each suppressor, causing them or the connected device, to burn out. I have had some that thought doing this would provide added protection.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP power post hurricane
My tidbit. Even if you own a battery backup, if you anticipate an outage like a hurricane, go ahead and delete the stored power by using it and recharge it. I found out my 300 wh power station that the battery indicator says it’s full all the time after 4 or 5 months . It’s not! Believe me. Recharge and be ready.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,392 663,214 09-19-2024, 10:53 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  newbie post izsleepy 6 476 09-10-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: izsleepy
  New here - Post Sleep Study Question Tenley 4 997 09-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Would you up the pressure in this situation? Post turbinate reduction tiredguy1 3 211 08-20-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: tiredguy1
  Another OSCAR Help Post Eric794 2 220 08-13-2024, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Eric794
  Power button Airsense 10 venomous duck 5 357 08-05-2024, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
Thumbsup Tampa FL forgot Resmed Power Supply at home Jerzasnore 13 512 07-14-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.