Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed F40 mask questions?
ResMed F40 mask questions?
I am giving the ResMed F40 hybrid mask a try, to compare with the Evora I was first given (relatively new to apap since early April, using Airsense 11). Evora is not comfortable despite adjusting. Although it's much more comfortable to wear, I noticed the F40 mask feels like it retains more air, with less output from the vent holes. Evora has much more outflow from the vent holes (not air leaks). Although we are still working on solutions because my Airsense 11 is set to 20 top pressure and not quite controlling apneas, I am feeling somewhat worse after 3 nights of the F40 altho AHI looks better. Or maybe I'm imagining that? Is it possible there are differences between masks on how much air they allow you to blow out? I would think there would be a standard among masks on something like that. The expiratory pressure relief is on altho I know it doesn’t operate like bipap. I think I will go back to the Evora several nights and see if there is a difference in how I feel. Anyone else with these kinds of experiences? Had second sleep study with a bipap, and couldn't tolerate the fixed rate inhale/exhale. Felt like I was no longer in control of my breathing, and that was scary. Waiting to consult further with provider on next steps. Feel worse since I started PAP therapy (or at least as bad as before).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed F40 mask questions?
I also have the F40 and have major problems with leaks at high pressure (17 - 20 mBar). When there are leaks, the AHI values improve because the evaluation does not work correctly.
I don't think that the F40 or any hybrid mask in general is suitable for such high pressures.
The Lena from Löwenstein and the F20 from Resmed work well for me in terms of leak tightness.
CU Daniel
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the AirFit F20, F30, and the F40. I recently acquired an F40 and it was okay. But.....it wasn't that much better to make me wanna stop using my F30. 

I can make do with all three, no problem! But, my favorite of the three, is the F30.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the f40 exclusively now, and find it holds a seal better than others I have tried at relatively high pressures (11-17). It feels like there is a smaller space being filled than I had with the f30, which, at first, felt like it was more pressure than I was used to. I got used to it quickly and no longer have any issues.

Do you have your machine set to the “pillow” setting? This mask doesn’t use the full face setting as you might expect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes.....I had my machine set on "pillows".
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F40 and think it’s great.  Leaks are no issue and it’s the most comfortable full face mask I have tried and I’ve tried many.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm finding that F40 leaks are a problem at high pressure as well (based on the few nights I've used it). The silicone is so soft that, although it's really comfortable, I think that's why it leaks more at high pressure (mine is going close to the Airsense 11 max of 20). The F20 mask is so uncomfortable for me. It probably would be better if the nose bridge didn't press so hard on the bony ridge of my nose. I could use a liner for the skin irritation but the nose bridge issue is significant. My face looks like Frankenstein after using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I set it to pillows last night for the first time. It blasted my nose and sinuses completely dry within a few hours although I have the humidifier on auto. I had to reset it to full face to make it even tolerable the rest of the night. My pressures are going to almost 20 on the Airsense 11. I'm having leaks (under the acceptable limit of 24), but I imagine this is because of the high pressure. I definitely notice a difference between the full face setting and pillows setting. Somehow the machine is able to direct most of the air up the nose on pillows setting, and on full face it's more diffuse within the entire mask. Don't really understand that. Hate the F20, so uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem with the F40. It was comfortable, but the leaks became too much to tolerate. I found information which indicated that the F40 is not a good choice for pressures 14 and above.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you currently using Evora? I started out with that but the headgear is super tight, and the mask really digs in on either side of my nose. Sizing is appropriate though.  Adjusting to comfort seems to invite leaks, but not quite as bad as the F40. I so want to stick with a hybrid because I feel less claustrophobic.  I fear that my high pressure needs are going to pose problems, though.  Never dreamed that CPAP was going to be this complicated...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EERS using Resmed AirFit P30i Mask GrantT 9 1,804 09-15-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: mintjberry
  pattern in high resolution mask pressure in resmed device rberry1 1 151 09-11-2024, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 464 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Full Face Mask Questions cnpeters 5 314 08-09-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Few Questions APAPNewbie 7 382 08-03-2024, 10:57 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 14 23,357 08-01-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Choosing correct mask, Septum questions, Nasal Cycle beetee 19 824 07-17-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.