Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifer questions.. Resmed 10 Airsense
Humidifer questions.. Resmed 10 Airsense
Hello all,

Been using CPAP for three months now, last night i tried humidifer for the first time to see how it is, and i found it more comfortable to use. Ive started on manual mode (with climateair line heated tubing) and on humidity setting 3, though i intend to increase that level.

A few Questions.

1. I bought some distilled water from amazon (which wasn't particually cheap) i watched videos and read instructions which all say to fill the water to 'just under the max line'. When i woke up in the morning it had barely used more than a quarter of the water, Is there any risk to the machine or the therapy of filling the water less (for example just under the second fill line or even in between the first and second line). Is doing that ok, or must you always fill to under the max line?

2. Im thinking about just rinsing the water tank out each morning with some distilled water, emptying in out and leaving it to dry. Is that perfectly fine to do or do you have to wash it fully everyday to avoid bateria and germs etc?

3. Can the water tank just be washed properly once a week, and must you use soap or can you just wash it with hot water?
I prefer to just use water if i can, as i have found with my mask, even when i use unscented soap that meets there criteria i can still smell it after cleaning it and rinsing it, I very much have a sensitive sense of smell.

4. I don't understand, as they put such an emphasis on using the correct water in the tank, but surely it not a good idea to wash the tank in tap water, couldn't that leave mineral desposits or something when its drying or does wahing it in tap water not matter so long as your not using tap water during its operation?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifer questions.. Resmed 10 Airsense
In order…

1. You do not need to use distilled water, tap water is fine you just need to clean it more often. How much water you use is dependent on the humidity in your home and how much you feel you need to use. I would just fill it to the middle line for now until you learn over time how much you need to use. I do use distilled water and have my own home distiller as I use it for coffee and tea, but would not hesitate to use tap water.

2. Rinsing daily when using tap water is a good habit to get into. With distilled water doing it once a week is fine. I only clean mine with dish soap and water every few months. I am still on my original water chamber and hose.

3. Only use dish soap like Dawn or equivalent. Cold or hot water is fine, but not too hot as it may warp the seals. One common mistake newbies make is over-washing, find what works for you.

4. Don’t overthink things. If you can drink the tap water it is fine to rinse the water chamber. Now, I would not use tap water in a Neti Pot, but for rinsing it is not an issue. If you are concerned just use distilled water to rinse.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out using distilled water, but gave up on that within a few months. I now just use tap water and empty the tank every morning and wipe dry with a paper towel. I leave the lid up to let it air dry completely. 

If I do see some mineral deposits in the tank, some White Vinegar takes care of that easily enough. I pour in just enough to cover the deposits, let soak for 20 min. or so, dump it out and rinse with tap water. Then wipe dry with a paper towel. 

I always fill the tank to the max. line. I rarely have much water left over after a night's use. Once in a great while, I'll actually take the water chamber and submerge it in a bathroom sink full of hot water and some dish soap and clean it. That doesn't happen very often though, as the tank doesn't get dirty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it wise to dry with a paper towel? i was told not to as it can leave behind tiny micro fibers which you then can breathe into your lungs, or is that more overthinking?

Do these home water distillers use alot of electricity to run them, do you know?

Im glad you said that you only wash your humidifer with soap every few months. This is what i intend to do, im hoping that just a morning water rinse and dry will be fine and there is no need to worry about germs or bateria, but i dont want to be breathing in bateria but surely the tank will not be dirty and need soap washing every week?
Post Reply Post Reply
No issues using paper towels. Even after wiping the chamber dry, I leave the lid open to insure complete air drying. It doesn't go back into my machine until later when I'm ready for bed. 

You're over thinking some of this.  Bigwink Just have a gallon of White Vinegar on hand for when you need it. It works wonders on mineral build-up. A little goes a long ways.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water and never empty, wash or even rinse my water chamber.  It is always clean and fresh.  When I used tap water I put white vinegar in, let it soak,  then used a brush to scrub it a little once or twice a month.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Higher AHI Readings on AirSense 11 than AirSense 10 Bmck8381 0 33 9 hours ago
Last Post: Bmck8381
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 95 34,906 Yesterday, 09:04 AM
Last Post: frolic
  ASV Questions DreadPirateRawburts 1 138 10-07-2024, 12:53 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed F40 mask questions? WCR1950 16 1,175 10-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SD card for Resmed airsense 11 buggy285 16 537 09-29-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: DraftZebra
  Three weeks in - Some questions SleepyDwarf123 6 1,016 09-29-2024, 07:16 AM
Last Post: SDM1
  ResMed Airsense 11 heated hose buggy285 6 361 09-28-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.