Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Choosing correct mask, Septum questions, Nasal Cycle
RE: Choosing correct mask, Septum questions, Nasal Cycle
The WatchPAT is the currently favored home sleep test device. While not as accurate as an in-lab test, it is accurate when used properly to determine if the person suffers from sleep apnoea.
Post Reply Post Reply
watch pat is accurate as far as it goes. It tells them enough to send you for an overnight in-lab study to find the settings needed and get you an appropriate type machine assigned.

It doesn't have the ability to adjust pressures or add oxygen or determine if you have central apnea verse obstructive. It just knows you have events and if it was the version with all the sensors attached and a tube on your nose it might can determine centrals, but not so accurate.

Insurance typically wants you do do an overnight at home device to confirm you have some type apnea before they spend the $$ for an in-lab study. I realize yuou are in the UK, but I assume the protocol is similar.

If it works like mine, in the lab the tech was able to cycle through simple CPAP, APAP, and ASV all from her control board. And at each of these she ran a range of pressures. In my case no matter what she did it made my apnea MUCH worse until she switched to ASV mode and once she had me breathing consistently she added oxygen because my pulsox was low.

All together from the time of my overnight study to having a machine in hand it was 9 months of hoop jumping fun to get it all approved and to get a machine ordered since they were backordered.
Post Reply Post Reply
@beetee… the F40 is a hybrid mask. No doubt, that’s why it looks Dali-esque to you. It works like nasal pillows, pushed up under your nose, but also covers your mouth. There are other hybrid masks, not just this one. They have some advantages, because they’re less bulky than traditional FFM’s, but they’re not for everyone, either. They’re especially popular with mouth breathers who aren’t at super high pressures (mine goes like a hovercraft at 15).
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2024, 09:59 AM)They did a one night Watch Pat home test, and told me i have moderate OSA, I asked if i would be spending the night in the sleep lab, but they said there is no need, and they will just give me the cpap machine.  I did say to the consultant that i felt one night of sleep (which wasnt a good night of sleep) seemed like too small of a sample size, and that maybe at least several nights to compare them against each other and develop an average would be a more accurate overall picture, but the consultant said the accuracy is good enough (even after one night\s bad sleep) to just prescribe the cpap machine with no need for further study.I was suprised by this, as having cpap for life based on one night home test didnt seem very definitive and made me wonder if there was any room for error, but they said it was very accurate and all the information they needed. robbob2112 Wrote: watch pat is accurate as far as it goes.  It tells them enough to send you for an overnight in-lab study to find the settings needed and get you an appropriate type machine assigned.

It doesn't have the ability to adjust pressures or add oxygen or determine if you have central apnea verse obstructive.  It just knows you have events and if it was the version with all the sensors attached and a tube on your nose it might can determine centrals, but not so accurate.

Insurance typically wants you do do an overnight at home device to confirm you have some type apnea before they spend the $$ for an in-lab study.  I realize yuou are in the UK, but I assume the protocol is similar.

If it works like mine, in the lab the tech was able to cycle through simple CPAP, APAP, and ASV all from her control board.  And at each of these she ran a range of pressures.  In my case no matter what she did it made my apnea MUCH worse until she switched to ASV mode and once she had me breathing consistently she added oxygen because my pulsox was low.

All together from the time of my overnight study to having a machine in hand it was 9 months of hoop jumping fun to get it all approved and to get a machine ordered since they were backordered.
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing is, without an in lab study how will they know what settings to start with?  But, pretty typical of insurance here in the US and I assume in the UK as well.

If they give you a machine like the resmed airsense 11 that can do cpap and apap we can help you dial in the setting to be ideal for you.

When they tell you the model number and brand they are going to give you we can tell you how to verify the machine is new verse used.  Meaning where to check that the runtime is zero or close to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2024, 08:33 AM)It is my  understanding that i am to be issued with a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.   robbob2112 Wrote: The thing is, without an in lab study how will they know what settings to start with?  But, pretty typical of insurance here in the US and I assume in the UK as well.

If they give you a machine like the resmed airsense 11 that can do cpap and apap we can help you dial in the setting to be ideal for you.

When they tell you the model number and brand they are going to give you we can tell you how to verify the machine is new verse used.  Meaning where to check that the runtime is zero or close to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
On that unit just scroll to the bottom and look at the time in the about menu. Make sure the runtime is under 20 hours or get them to issue you a different machine. Also make sure it includes a SD card with the machine (top flap on the left). If it isn't present get it or buy one at any local store that sells such things - it should be less than 32gb to work.

Are they going to do a mask fitting or just send you what it is they think you will use?

I expect they will just have it set to auto - which will work as a starting point. Download Oscar so you can chart your progress and upload graphs here.
Post Reply Post Reply
if you want to repeat the watchpat study there are a number of companies which will just sell you one for about $200 US. it turns out that the FAA and NHTSA require pilots and truck drivers respectively to take sleep apnea tests periodically and i believe this partially creates the market for these home apnea tests.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2024, 08:33 AM)robbob2112 Wrote: The thing is, without an in lab study how will they know what settings to start with?  But, pretty typical of insurance here in the US and I assume in the UK as well.

i agree with you but i believe that the overwhelming majority of sleep medicine providers in the US just prescribe the CPAP and give some default pressures, like APAP 7-15 or so, and then just see what happens. they will only do a titration if the default settings somehow fails the patient. this probably makes sense statistically as both the in-lab sleep study and in-lab titration are really expensive (compared to a couple hundred bucks for the watchPAT)
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want another night of data you could get a SleepU or O2 ring and it's reusable and measures almost everything the watchpat does and you can lend to family and friends as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Used for 60 days, want to eliminate RERA/awake [Reposted with correct format] a29988122 2 216 09-11-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: a29988122
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 418 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 18 2,211 09-04-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Can I use nasal mask with deviated septum? snortle 1 157 08-27-2024, 08:20 AM
Last Post: mark.apnea
  Continous air out of vent nasal mask Nad402 25 12,062 08-26-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: JMIKEG
  [Equipment] F&P Nova Micro nasal pillows mask carnuntum 2 287 08-26-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: carnuntum
  Considering full face mask until I can fix my nasal breathing Ptee8899 11 601 08-25-2024, 08:13 AM
Last Post: SeePak

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.