Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV: Central Apnea Not Relieved
RE: Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV: Central Apnea Not Relieved
OK, thanks. Yes, the rate briefly touches zero at about 12:32. That's the only such point. There are many more such points on my worst nights though. Thanks for pointing it out. I think this is what other users have called, "Positional apnea," although I don't know what makes it different from obstructive apnea, except the BIPAP device doesn't seem to prevent it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that I'm aware that respiration rate is dropping to zero, I'm posting the OSCAR screenshots for the last two nights. Both nights used identical settings and masks, but Saturday night was nearly perfect, and Sunday night collapsed, with many points where respiration stopped. I've sent all this to my doctor. I have no idea why one night is peaceful, and the next night is terrible. I'm guessing that something aggravates obstructive apnea the second night, but I don't know what. Both nights include a cervical collar to keep my head straight.

I don't even know what changes to pressures will help stop the obstructive sleep apnea. Advice is welcome!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Chart 2 has the Positional Apnea pattern most of the session. It's got both UA and Hypopnea flags from the beginning. There's only a small section near the end that was clear of this pattern.

That's what I'm seeing anyway. So your collar might not be helping as well as needed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I'm on an inclined wedge with no pillows, a cervical collar to prevent chin collapse onto the chest, and no real freedom to turn onto either side. I'm at a loss to see where I could be positioning to cut off air flow. I can try two things, either rising higher up the wedge, or removing it completely, and putting in a pillow or two instead.

Somehow I avoided the problem Saturday night. That's also a puzzle.

Whatever it is, this is the main problem I've been having for over a year!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've looked for, "Positional apnea," using Duck Duck Go, and all the writeups speak of it obstructive sleep apnea aggravated by a choice of body position. If that's true, why can't it be treated by raising the average pressure in an Aircurve 10 ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
What you found is true regarding actual body position, as in supine or side sleeping, this shows on the sleep study. Doctors recognize and understand this one.

Positional Apnea as mentioned on Apnea Board is a head and neck alignment position separate from the other. CPAP users recognize and understand this one.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

From our wiki.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
After several more nights of sleep, it appears that my Aircurve 10 ASV only functions well if I'm almost flat, all pillows and other support removed except for one regular pillow which is fairly thin. However, I'm getting bad backaches most nights. I've tried a pillow under my knees, and that only helped for one night for some reason. I always use a cervical collar to keep my neck straight.

If I sleep propped up on a wedge instead, the AHI soars. I do not understand why sleeping on a wedge would cause much more disturbance, and a high AHI. The wedge does stop the backaches, and reduces chances for acid reflux during the night, but it stimulates obstructive apneas somehow, which is the opposite of what I'd expect. I'd expect them to be worse when I'm flat with no wedge.

I've tried sleeping on my left side, and that solves most of the problems. However, I wake up after an hour, uncomfortable, and then I go over onto my back, and the problems start.

Screenshot of last night (on my back, no wedge, one pillow), attached. You can see the AHI soar in the middle of the night, and then drop back down.

Post Reply Post Reply
These two screenshots are for identical machine and mask configurations, and for roughly the same amount of time after machine startup leading into sleep. The only difference is that in the second case, I'm elevated about 30 degrees on a wedge, while in the first case, I'm flat with just a normal pillow, not a very big one. I'm flat on my back in both cases. I have a snug cervical collar on in both cases. As you can see, the wedge case produces ragged breathing, and high AHI, while the flat case is much better. This is the opposite of what is expected according to the respiratory therapists I've spoken to.

I'd stop worrying about this and just sleep flat except that gives me backaches, even with a pillow under my knees. I need some elevation.

Beyond that, it's just so counterintuitive according to most therapists, that I worry the Aircurve 10 is defective. Even the doctor seems puzzled.

People on this board have suggested positional apnea is the problem. That's why I have the cervical collar, and no additional pillows on the wedge.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Mod Note] Are There Any Aircurve 11 ST ot ST-A Users? Crimson Nape 1 84 8 minutes ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  1 Week in - Treatment regimen central apnea? mikaelbb 3 167 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Increase in Central Apneas Luna G3 PAP Link Data thowle 8 228 10-01-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Resmed Aircurve 10 VAUTO turning itself off and on throughout the night?? 17WRX 4 139 09-29-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: 17WRX
  Zoll Remede System for Central/Cheyne Stokes Fixit50 2 154 09-26-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Fixit50
  acquired an aircurve vauto 10/self titrating eok361 9 397 09-26-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: eok361
  TreatmenT emergent central apnea Stracky 9 321 09-25-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.