Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 - Whale Noises inhale/exhale
Resmed Airsense 10 - Whale Noises inhale/exhale
Hello everyone,

I have been on a Resmed Airsense 10 almost 5 years. Recently my machine started making whistling noises from the motor area. After a while it got worse and started making whale like noises when breathing in and out. It has gotten so bad ive had to wear earphones to sleep to drown it out.

The noise sounds exactly like this youtube video i found: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/naaezJEujSU

Ive replaced the motor inside the machine, it worked fine without noise for 1 night and then started making noises again. Does anyone have a clue what else it could be? I am guessing it could be the enclosure housing or some of the silicone cover around the motor. Any thoughts appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 - Whale Noises inhale/exhale
Have you checked the Silicone seals going into and out of the water chamber?

Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks unicorn. I have taken the reservoir out and placed a finger near the outlet of the machine (silicone) and it also makes the noise when there is resistance in airflow.
I will probably disassemble and look at all the parts again. Does anyone know if the sensor 2 prong silicone hooking up to the PCB board (i think it detects airflow data) has any replacement parts available?
Post Reply Post Reply
wouldn't the machine require calibration if you replace a sensor?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense/Aircurve 10 series has a history of motors going bad and making noises people describe as a dying calf or whale. You can find these videos on YouTube. Many of these machines are fixed under warranty by Resmed. Contact your DME supplier and let them know you have a failing "pneumatic block" or motor. Alternative options are to buy a replacement motor for about $100 on Amazon or Ali-Express and install yourself, or consider sending the device to Supplier #28 who will replace the motor with OEM parts, check seals and reset run-hours to zero for about $228 plus shipping. The Airsense 10 wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap, fits in a Medium Priority Mail box.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks sleeprider. 
I ended up disassembling the unit and doing some cleaning and airways with alcohol wipes. Put it all back together and had one full night with no whale noises.

Since this is a new motor, it is something else that was causing it. Hopefully the whales don't come back and I will have my insurance approved a new machine soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good, with only five years and a new motor, it should make a good backup machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet was making some weird nosies from the air filter end of the machine. I fiddled around with my mask and they went away.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Just an update. I disassembled, cleaned all the airways, left the ring foam out( I think it's purpose is to catch dust before it reaches motor). Been running with no noises for about 4 nights.

The bad news, I think I frayed the cable going to the modem, no longer get cell signal. Good news is I also got approved for an airsense 11. ( Yes I know the 10 is better) But insurance covers it all, so I'm fine
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as the SD card still functions you'll do ok.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] AirSense 11 filters: ResMed v Generic BobinHI 2 143 06-29-2024, 12:24 AM
Last Post: BobinHI
  What is this breathing pattern? Regular inhale, almost flat exhale cqrmskaprd 10 279 06-22-2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: cqrmskaprd
  Overwhelming exhale resistance - is this normal ? Fox66 31 774 06-20-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  MaxOak & Resmed Airsense 10 Won't connect acc 5 296 06-18-2024, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [Equipment] 1st Post: 7 Yr w/Resmed Airsense 10, now not rested 3 nights w/new 11 HappyAPAPerSince2017 6 646 06-12-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 84 35,783 06-11-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Westerj
  F40 mask making a pitched whine noise on inhale? alwyns42 7 378 06-08-2024, 08:48 PM
Last Post: brokensleep57

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.