Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed VAuto, ST or ASV
RE: Resmed VAuto, ST or ASV
Hi Sleeprider, I've been tracking my case for a decade now since i got the diagnosis and it's clearly physiological (and ofc, as w everyone, it also a psychological component). But just fyi to take into account, there are a lot of people who only tolerate very low pressures and where the FLs are very subtle and barely any sleep labs score data to properly capture these micro-awakenings. LIke i said, a proper sleep lab figured out i wake up 40 x an hour. I have a hunch that with UARS it's more about lowering overall respiratory effort, and every bit of positive pressure will make a difference. Also have a hunch that UARS part of the symptomology is due to a more reactive nervous system than is typical in people living with OSA, so lower pressures will often be better. In my titration study for instance, arousals increased suddenly/dramatically after 7 or 8 cm pressure, but lowered in the 4-6cm range. Curious whether you've found other members in a similar situation. And why did you write "If you have resolved flow limitation with current settings, then we're really not dealing with UARS", just curious.
Post Reply Post Reply
UARS is by definition flow limitation. We can use the absence of flow limitation as a good indicator that pressure and pressure support has mitigated the airway restrictions that cause poor or limited inspiratory flow. So it's a legitimate question to see how often or how much inspiratory flow is limited or flattened by your airway resistance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right, makes sense in theory, though ofc the way FLs are flagged or identified in a clinical setting (including our Oscar/sleepyhead) is at best somewhat random. Ideally they would be defined and then measured according to everyone's own physiological response in an EEG to those FLs, to see whether they are relevant/signficant or not.  (e.g. at what magnitude of FL and what duration does the FL lead to an arousal and sleep fragmentation). See here in the attachment, i added user defined flags for FL defined by limits in flow of 50 and 80% lasting at least 3 seconds. Now i have 11.5 events/hr. If we reduce the parameter to 2 seconds, it'll go up to the 30/h range, more in line with what the sleep studies find in my case (which do measure sleep fragmentation based on EEG). My hunch is that this is a huge factor in why people find relief from treatment (whether CPAP or otherwise) and some others don't, even if some objective measures seem to indicate that the treatment is being effective.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Please minimize the monthly chart by clicking on the triangle in the current date. Flow limitation is something we identify in a zoomed view, generally 3 to 4 minute segments give us a good view of the flow rate wave form and lets us see how you respond to any inspiratory "flattening". It allows us to see events that are not flagged. Notice in your chart there are places where flow limits increase and you also show some UF events. We want to focus on the minutes leading up to a flow spike like the ones at 01:30, 00:30, 02:00, 03:05 etc. Those look like arousals or RERA.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on BiPAP AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings for Upper Airway Resistance Syndro chacha897d 1 216 09-07-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Resmed 10 vauto can hear breathing Officialdee 6 186 09-07-2024, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New resmed 10 vauto Officialdee 0 190 08-25-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Officialdee
Gross Airsense 11 to Aircurve 10 vauto taxprof1122 7 566 08-12-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: taxprof1122
Sad Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! DFWdude 42 1,601 08-10-2024, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto - What Settings To Use? stevesleep 27 1,357 07-23-2024, 07:17 AM
Last Post: stevesleep
  Aircurve 11 VAUTO vs. Aircurve 10 VAUTO MrIvanDrago 8 614 07-21-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.