Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
@Melman

I use a CONTROL III, a hospital-grade disinfectant soak every three months with weekly cleanings with Dawn Dishwashing Detergent. Am I wasting my time, effort, and money using Control III? It was recommended by my DME and seemed like a good idea at the time. Thanks, -- steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
This has probably been mentioned--I just didn't see it in re-reading some of the posts.  Resmed states in their newer literature that using an ozone cleaner will void your warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2021, 02:12 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: This has probably been mentioned--I just didn't see it in re-reading some of the posts.  Resmed states in their newer literature that using an ozone cleaner will void your warranty.

That's true, but three years in, my Airsense 10 has been working fine with my SoClean 2 since the first week  (which I use every single morning) and Resmed's warranty expired after two years anyway.  I've had no problems and while many here will disagree, I find I don't have to undertake the drudgery of manual cleaning; the SoClean keeps everything sanitized and odor-free.  I don't sneeze or otherwise put schmutz backwash into my nasal pillows or tubing; I'm sure that's a big part of it.

A few months after I went on CPAP, I had to be away from home for 10 weeks with my CPAP machine but didn't have room to bring the SoClean.  My stuff started to smell and get unattractive in about two weeks and I found myself having to wash everything every 10 days to two weeks without SoClean.  Pain in the butt.  Over two years later, after returning home, I haven't had to wash it once and I am VERY slow to change the consumables, using everything far beyond the recommended change-out schedules. 

So take all that for the anecdotal evidence it is.  IMHO, thumbs-up for the SoClean from me, but I'm ok with those who think it's a scam - nobody is forcing its purchase.  Their "filter units", though, are a scam at the prices they charge.  Just get some 1/2" thick activated-charcoal sheets from Amazon for 10 bucks, pry off the top of the filter holder and cut a piece to fit.  You'll have a lifetime supply of replacement filters for 10 bucks that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Jim that's been my experience as well to a T. 

The people who hate ozone cleaners ahve a "my way or the highway" attitude in some cases: "plain "ol soap and water works for me; why not you?" It's a big 'ol world! 

I used a So clean for many years,and now use a cheaper ozone cleaner. I've had zero problems with my machines or my masks over about 17 years. To paraphrase Groucho Marx, who am I gonna believe, people who've never used so clean, or my own nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems like more and more concerns regarding Ozone degrading CPAP machines are coming up. Most are related to the frequency that they being recommended to be used by So-Clean and other manufacturers. if you have it, use in moderation.
Post Reply Post Reply
And be sure to follow their instructions which is to" clean per the Mfg suggestions". Do note that after that the SoClean, or other, is not needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problems with using it as per manufacturer recommendation is that both ResMed and Philips have indicated that it damages the CPAP internally. Especially when used everyday which is what So-Clean recommends.  For ResMed, your warranty will be voided.
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct, so I avoid SoClean and my warranty is intact.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
CPAP Problems + SoClean (Possibility?)
Considering that:
- The DreamStation 1 has suddenly been cancelled and swept under the rug due to degradation of the foam inside (IF exposed to heat & humidity, etc.), which can cause some sort of foam flakes to come into the humidifier tub.  (My summary of what I've read here.)
- The ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset has (for some people here) put off a burning smell after several hours of use, and resulted in white flakes that seem to be singe-ing inside of the machine.

Has anyone proposed the possibility that SoClean (or other ozone cleaners) could potentially be causing these problems?

I especially began wondering this when I thoroughly read the reports about the problem that supposedly caused Phillips to stop selling the DreamStation 1.  It makes sense to me that SoClean and other non-recommended supposed-cleaners could potentially cause this degradation and damage.  And then I remembered the ResMed issue, which seems like a plausibly somewhat similar scenario.  

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?  I'd love to hear from people who have experienced either of these situations, and find out if they use non-recommended cleaners such as SoClean, etc. (I have not personally experienced either of these issues with either my DS1 nor my ResMed 10. And I do not use any non-recommended cleaners.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Problems + SoClean (Possibility?)
Philips has said that degradation of the foam could be caused by unapproved cleaning methods, including ozone. And ResMed has said use of an ozone cleaner may void their warranty.

So I think both companies have already implied that ozone cleaners will damage their products.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I cannot stand cleaning this thing SleepyAF 8 281 09-30-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] How frequently to you do a deep mask cleaning? seepapnyc 9 375 09-15-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: seepapnyc
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 11 1,859 09-13-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  Anyone use CPAP sanitizing machines? sleepingbetterinFl 6 291 09-09-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Cleaning advice needed for Resmed p30i AshSF 2 211 08-28-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Holiday/Vacation Usage Importance & Cleaning...... beetee 12 604 08-12-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: beetee
  [Equipment] Cleaning ResMed AirFit P30i/N30i exhaust port asterisk 1 285 08-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.