Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Started noticing dry mouth in the morning
Started noticing dry mouth in the morning
I’m not a new user and I have a Resmed Air 10 that I’ve been using for 3 years now.  Everything has been going well until a few months ago when I started noticing I would wake up with a dry mouth sometimes, but not all the time.  I first thought I was breathing through my mouth, but my wife says I am not.  None of the settings on my CPAP have changed and I have replaced my mask a few times with the same model N30 that I have used since when I started the CPAP.  My CPAP is set at the highest humidity level as well.  Does anybody have an idea of what could be causing the occasional dry mouth?

On a side note, I recently got an AirMini for travel and really HATE it.  I tried it for a couple nights, but I woke up with the most horrible dry mouth imaginable after about an hour.  I had the HumidX Plus and same N30 mask with that one as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Started noticing dry mouth in the morning
Welcome to Apnea Board, your probably breathing through your mouth, your wife doesn’t possibly watch you all night, mouth tape will correct this and maybe since winter is approaching and the humidity is a little less it may call for a adjustment in your humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a beard and mouth tape won’t work for me.

What kind of humidity adjustments are you talking about?  I have been using the same settings for over 3 years and the dry mouth just started happening a few months ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, I have a beard and mustache and tape works fine. I tape vertically, 1/2 wide , 2 inch long, right down the center. It’s an incentive to keep my mouth shut. Works like a charm. I use J&J medical tape. In the morning, push out with your tongue, one end comes loose, grab it and yank.

Less humidity in winter calls for increased humidity in your machine. Up one on your machine and test.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m already at the max humidity, unfortunately.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, that really confirms your mouth breathing then.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dry mouth in no way proves mouth breathing. It can be caused by many other causes including medications, supplements, health issues and just getting older. Lots of us use Xylimelts, small tablets that adhere to your tooth and gum and cause your mouth to stay moist. They work very well.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Dry mouth is from dehydration from not drinking enough liquids daily or mouth breathing at night.
A pill or tablet simply mask the real problem. Medications may warrant more fluid intake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Each of us is different in how we sleep, how we use the device, and how we interact....and adjust to...the device and the therapy it provides.  We're always 'in motion'.  Part of the outfall is stretching of the headgear, deterioration of the mask, how our sleep changes as we get better rest, and so on. In my experience, with only myself as the one example, when I get dry mouth I can tell that I have dropped my tongue and the incoming air has recirculated inside of my mouth.  I tape, and have done so since Day 2. If my tape seals my mouth opening, and I use an appropriate humidification setting, then the dry mouth must meant circulating air.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 on xylimelts. Taping your mouth may help if mouth breathing is just a habit, but I remember just feeling like suffocating. I just stick one xylimelt before I sleep, and one more when I wake up for bathroom at night. It worked pretty well for the past few months.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What was your experience fighting mouth leaks? PersonInNY 26 878 34 minutes ago
Last Post: PersonInNY
  Just started 6 days ago! benjaminjaquith 11 281 1 hour ago
Last Post: coutherino
  [Symptoms] Sticky eyes in the morning blackswan99 0 35 4 hours ago
Last Post: blackswan99
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 19 904 5 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help - not feeling rested in the morning! jc1996 1 56 9 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  CPAP Mask Size Issue: Will Switching to a Large Prevent My Morning Headaches? sinanacar 5 345 Yesterday, 07:17 AM
Last Post: sinanacar
  Pressure settings on APAP - Morning Headaches Jhlopez 0 97 09-24-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Jhlopez

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.