Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gasping for air as falling asleep with cpap
Question 
Gasping for air as falling asleep with cpap
Hello, I have mild sleep apnea (says doctor) and I have been on cpap a couple years. Nothing has changed since I started really and the main issue that I have is that when I am falling asleep (not asleep) I stop breathing and panic and then gasp for air. I can literally feel myself not breathing and I like panic trying to breathe an it takes a second or two for me to be able to breathe again. It's like my body is unable to breathe during these moments. It happens 20-30 times on a bad night.

Both sleep doctors I have been to have no idea what it is because they say everything on my sleep reports is normal and that my apneas are barely there. Clearly these events I'm having are not showing on their end. I have downloaded Oscar to try and find it on my own but am not really sure what to look for. I have been trying to figure this out for almost 2 years and still have had no luck.

I have added a few screenshots from a short nap I took earlier today where I experienced at least 10 of these "forgetting to breathe" events. I was hoping someone could maybe shed some light on anything that stands out.

I will be trying to order another sleep study and I would like to try an ASV machine however there is no way my insurance will cover it with my current AHI being so low.

Thank you for any input you can give me!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can't fall asleep and stay asleep Person 7 309 10-07-2024, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Expat31
Sad [Treatment] Newbie: can't stay asleep longer than 1 hour with mask on KianaBeth 8 366 09-17-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can't fall asleep, should I adjust pressures, etc.? PJP71 10 486 09-08-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: PlayerTwo
  [Symptoms] Waking up 15min after falling asleep - new insights McPhearson99 17 2,376 09-02-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: McPhearson99
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 224 20,174 08-20-2024, 03:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] Central Apneas when falling asleep dicko 0 252 08-14-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: dicko
  New to cpap therapy, having trouble falling asleep Exuro89 17 783 07-22-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Exuro89

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.