Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance?
Question 
CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance?
Edit, changed Subject to "Appliance" instead of "Mask".

I know this is a strange and likely stupid question.  Let me elaborate.  2-3 times a year (like this week!), I get a HORRIBLE, absolutely nasal clogging, 100% blocked airway sinus infection.  I have had surgeries, tried nasal sprays, decongestants, positional testing...absolutely nothing works when it is at its worst for 2-3 days.  The infections usually clear up in 10-14 days and I can get by with nasal spray and nasal pillow mask for some of the days, but for the worst  I end up sitting up in bed, mouth breathing (and not sleeping) for days on end...it is horrible.  Also causes horrible coughing, chest problems etc. too.

Maybe it would not work and I am just missing something, but I have looked (not found) for some sort of mouth guard type appliance that would allow the CPAP machine to flow directly in/out of my mouth and not cover the nasal portion at all.  Is there a reason there are no "mouth only" type appliance/masks - almost like a swimming snorkel mouth piece with an airflow hole in the middle?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance?
You know, it might be possible to attach your PAP to a snorkel tube. Amazing idea except for the rebreathing CO2 danger. Normally an oral interface would leak through the nose, so I'm not aware of one. There are several full-face or hybrid options that have a mouth cup and nasal pillows.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at the oracle mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2023, 10:39 PM)yankees123 Wrote: Take a look at the oracle mask.

Well holy crap...there it is!!  Thanks @yankees123, I've got to try one...
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal Pillows - Momentary Mouth Leakage Strategies? mark.apnea 2 226 10-11-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mouth Taping Dave77 4 245 10-06-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Dave77
  What was your experience fighting mouth leaks? PersonInNY 32 1,570 10-05-2024, 11:19 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 21 1,340 10-05-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  is the answer to this data mouth tape? p4ncaketim 3 256 10-03-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 36 4,794 10-03-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 14 1,711 09-30-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.