Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Hitting the wall with self-titration
Hitting the wall with self-titration
30M, tall and thin, I've had my resmed for several months and I can tolerate it fine but I'm having trouble making progress. Sometimes I have "good" nights but doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. I've settled around 10 for min pressure as I haven't noticed a meaningful difference from 8 (out of the box was 5) and my mouth is puffing up a bit more. I mouth tape and have a chin strap which seem to be keeping leaks down, and I turned off EPR as it seemed to meaningfully decrease centrals - it's been 3 months, mostly using EPR, and the only difference I notice is I have more centrals with EPR (which I understand isn't necessarily a problem) but my respiratory rate seems to trend slightly higher. I feel like I have a bit of trouble breathing through my nose but my ENT did an MRI and said it seemed clear and I don't need to open my mouth to breathe so we'll leave that there for now. Anyone have any ideas (other than general sleep hygiene)?

Over the last month, AHI was 1.79, CA index was 1.62, and Hypo Index was 0.13

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hitting the wall with self-titration
Welcome to the forum sleeperton, you have some flow limits going on but numbers look pretty good overall. Do you sleep on a flat pillow? And do you find yourself on your sides or on your back mostly?

I would try CPAP mode (or set min/max both to 12cm) and turn on EPR to 1 for a few nights and see if you feel more rested-I know I did when I switched over to CPAP mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would *like* to sleep on my back (good posture) but I understand with apnea I have to work with what I can handle. So I usually use a flat pillow under my head "normally" and have one I sort of lean my back on, with another I kinda hug use to try to keep my chin up. I do find myself going back and forth from one side to another several times a night (consciously). Side sleeping definitely was less obstructive for my in-lab test. I have a wedge pillow but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference vs just having a flat one at my back. Will do with the cpap at 12 + 1 EPR and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure is jumping a lot. You can’t be getting very good sleep like that. 

To calm down those spikes of pressure set

EPR to full time
EPR 3

That should help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I did have Full time EPR = 3 set pretty much every night up until last week. It did not seem to matter much and I had more centrals, though again I know centrals may not be an actual issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you post a typical night EPR3 please.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Here you go 3 EPR from like 3 weeks back. Last night I tried the CPAP at 12 with 1 EPR and I had a little burping but otherwise seemed fine? Only slept for 6-ish hours so we'll see how it goes tonight.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at your pressure graph with the EPR 3 and compare it to the one with no EPR...  Do you see the the difference of the 2.  The one with no EPR is spiking (mountains) all night and the one with EPR is much flatter.  Flatter is better, less sleep distubance and lower pressure - not as much leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Heard. When should I get concerned about the centrals? I understand it's just me "not" breathing, which is different from being unable to breathe, but I kinda thought they were supposed to go away after a few months as my body acclimated to the assisted CO2 removal. Also, I wasn't really feeling better with EPR on full either (which is why I turned it off)? I'll keep trying CPAP mode w/ and up the EPR to 3 now I guess, but not sure what the next step would be.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2024, 07:47 PM)sleeper ton Wrote: Heard. When should I get concerned about the centrals? I understand it's just me "not" breathing, which is different from being unable to breathe, but I kinda thought they were supposed to go away after a few months as my body acclimated to the assisted CO2 removal. Also, I wasn't really feeling better with EPR on full either (which is why I turned it off)? I'll keep trying CPAP mode w/ and up the EPR to 3 now I guess, but not sure what the next step would be.

Sleeperton, Can you post a chart where you have used CPAP mode with EPR on please when you are able?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bilevel self-titration for UARS ChickenTenders 11 721 09-26-2024, 12:33 PM
Last Post: ChickenTenders
  Large Leak/UA Events since titration RainyDog 8 269 09-05-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 204 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  MVoltaire's - Lövenstein prisma 25 ST (Therapy & Titration thread) MVoltaire 4 474 08-11-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  First night APAP - titration ManGoLine 3 358 07-11-2024, 11:38 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Home titration advice xaid 1 285 06-29-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Inconsistent Sleep Quality with BiPAP Titration - Seeking Advice Gettingbetter33 3 276 06-22-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.