Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings
Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings
I have central sleep apnea. I have a ResMed 10 ASV machine and a ResMed AirTouch F20 mask. I am strictly a side sleeper. I had to sleep on my back only for the past three + weeks and my average AHI reading was 3.8. Now I am able to sleep on my side and the past 2 nights my AHI reading was 0.11. My average over past 6 months prior to having to sleep on my back was 0.13. I am back to normal readings for side sleeping. My question is why is sleeping on my back so much higher? Soon, I will again have to sleep on my back for 3 + weeks and am uncomfortable knowing my readings sleeping on my back are higher, and seems I wake up often as compared to when I sleep on my side. My mask readings remain the same.

Thanks for your responses and enjoy your day.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings
 When you are on your back, (i) your tongue moves backward, blocking your inhalation, and (ii)  your soft palatal prolapses more quickly into the nasopharynx, posing resistance during exhalatio
Post Reply Post Reply
You may be experiencing what we call "Positional Apnea" or "chin tucking."
If your head tilts forward into your chest, you will effectively cut off your air, and no amount of air pressure can blast through that. Of course, without seeing a OSCAR chart, I'm just guessing.

What type pillow do you use? One pillow vs. two is better. Also try to avoid a too tall pillow or wedge that could cause your head to tilt forward.

Is the increase in Apnea events Central or Obstructive? Again, post a couple charts, preferably one when you know you were on your back and one when on your side.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For most people with "Positional Apnea", chin tucking is the problem and a soft cervical collar remedies the problem. But in my case, for 2 1/2 years I wore a collar that prevented me from having clusters of OA's. I had a average AHI of 0.9. Then all of a sudden one night, just like you flipped a light switch, my AHI started going up to where I am now averaging 3.52 for the last 6 months. Nothing had changed about my sleep. Thought my collar might had got too soft over the years and purchased a new one just like it. Even lowered my pillow. Nothing seemed to help. The only thing I can figure that has happen is that something had changed in my airway allowing my tongue to fall further back causing a blockage of my breathing. I recorded myself sleeping with a camera and compared the timeline of it to Oscar and sure enough, as long as I was on my side I had no apneas, but once I changed to my back the problem started. I also noticed that during the apneas that my chin was staying above the collar, so I knew it was doing its job. Now I have been experimenting with different things to try and keep me on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, how did you think your back sleeping nights went? Did you wake up more tired? Did you wake up often? Or was it no different than side sleeping nights?

Second, an AHI of anything less than 5 is good. So unless you felt bad and unrested with the "higher" AHI, there's no worries.

Third, what were the events in those higher nights? Were there an increase in obstructive events or central?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have central sleep apnea. My average past year is 0.49 with a 2.30 average in Feb. while having to sleep on back entire month.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 19 1,283 09-16-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 14 1,238 08-14-2024, 02:47 PM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  New User - Early Side Effects? Pressure Related? ShapeShifter2 14 711 08-08-2024, 09:49 PM
Last Post: ShapeShifter2
  Back up Battery Problem Kimb 3 277 08-01-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Uncomfortable Mild apnea sleeper GoldenSilence 10 539 07-23-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New/old user back to CPAP Starg81234 4 284 07-21-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 77 8,013 07-13-2024, 09:44 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.